David Weiner is a litigator whose practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts where he has worked on a variety of matters involving constitutional, administrative, products liability, and contract law. He has significant experience with class actions and mass actions in multiple industries and enforcing arbitration and forum selection clauses.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Weiner served as an attorney-advisor in the Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice (DOJ) where he advised the Attorney General on constitutional and administrative law matters. Additionally, he was a Bristow Fellow in the Office of the Solicitor General at DOJ.
Upon graduating from Stanford Law School, Mr. Weiner served as a law clerk for the Honorable David Tatel of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and to the Honorable David Levi of the US District Court for the Eastern District of California. While in law school, he served as President of the Stanford Law Review and won the Stanford Kirkwood Moot Court competition.
- Carnival Corporation in successful defense of multiple lawsuits, including two putative class actions, filed in connection with Costa Concordia accident in Italy.
- Manufacturer in on-going defense of class action alleging injuries arising from exposure to radiation emitted from Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Japan.
- Consumer electronics manufacturer in defense of class action alleging violations of various California consumer protection statutes arising from alleged violations of consumer privacy rights.
- European airframe manufacturer in successful defense based on forum non conveniens in multidistrict litigation arising out of aviation accident over the mid-Atlantic Ocean.
- European airframe manufacturer in successful defense based on forum non conveniens of wrongful death claims arising out of Brazilian aviation accident.
- European airframe manufacturer in numerous wrongful death and personal injury actions that were dismissed for lack of personal jurisdiction or based on application of foreign law.
- European energy company in filing temporary restraining order barring competitor from obtaining confidential information from client's former employee. Defendant agreed to settle action in response to TRO.
- Energy company in successfully overturning default judgment for claims brought under Alien Tort Statute.
- Various trade associations on federal preemption issues, including challenge to county law banning various chemicals from children's toys and products.
Commercial Litigation (2015)
International Arbitration (2015)
- JD, Stanford Law School, 2001
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Auckland, 1999
- BA, Johns Hopkins University, 1997, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, The Honorable David Tatel
- US District Court, Eastern District of California, The Honorable David Levi