Michael Wood practices in the life sciences and healthcare regulatory areas, counseling clients on regulatory, compliance, transactional, and legislative matters.
Before joining Arnold & Porter, Mr. Wood spent two years as in-house counsel with a healthcare and medical device company where he addressed all aspects of the company's operations, including issues related to in-house and third-party manufacturing labs, distribution and import of medical devices, FDA and regulatory compliance, commercial contracts, and anti-corruption and anti-kickback compliance.
Prior to working in-house, Mr. Wood spent nearly five years with a large international law firm focusing on complex compliance and regulatory matters. He helped a variety of clients navigate litigation, regulatory actions, and internal and government investigations involving complex civil, criminal and compliance issues. He also conducted internal investigations in the United States, Latin America, Europe, and Asia relating to allegations of money laundering and financial fraud, senior management misconduct, the False Claims Act, anti-kickback statutes, insurance fraud, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
In 2018, while still at his previous firm, Mr. Wood completed a three-month secondment with the Yolo County District Attorney's office leading multiple jury trials to verdict as a volunteer Deputy District Attorney.
Mr. Wood began his career serving as a law clerk to Chief Judge Morrison C. England, Jr. of the United States District Court, Eastern District of California. As a clerk, Mr. Wood researched and drafted proposed opinions and orders in a variety of civil and criminal matters at all stages of the proceedings.
Mr. Wood earned his JD from the Pepperdine University School of Law where he served as symposium editor for the Pepperdine Law Review and graduated summa cum laude, salutatorian, and Order of the Coif. While at Pepperdine, Mr. Wood also received a Master of Dispute Resolution (MDR) from the law school's Straus Institute and a Master of Public Policy (MPP). Mr. Wood graduatedcum laude from Georgetown University with a degree in government. While a student, Mr. Wood interned for a member of the US House of Representatives, the California governor's office and the California secretary of state.
- JD, Pepperdine University School of Law, 2013, summa cum laude; Salutatorian
- MPP, Pepperdine University School of Public Policy, 2013
- MDR, Pepperdine University School of Law, 2011
- AB, Government, Georgetown University, 2009, cum laude
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of California, Morrison C. England, Jr.
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys