Kent Yalowitz has represented a wide variety of clients in high-stakes litigation. Most recently, he led the trial team that secured a $655 million jury verdict against the Palestinian Authority and the PLO in favor of eleven American families injured in terrorist attacks. This was the largest personal injury jury verdict ever in the Southern District of New York and was recently ranked 2nd nationwide by the National Law Journal in its special report on 2015 "Top 100 Verdicts" based on award size.
Mr. Yalowitz has deep experience in contractual and business disputes, civil and criminal tax controversies, labor and employment disputes, bankruptcy, securities fraud, product liability, antitrust, and corporate governance matters. In addition to trial and appellate work, he assists clients with internal and governmental investigations.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Yalowitz served as a law clerk for Judge Edmund L. Palmieri of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Highlights of Mr. Yalowitz' trial experience include:
- Sokolow v. PLO – Led a team that won a $655.5 million treble damages jury verdict after a seven-week trial under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
- Wilder v. World of Boxing – Led trial team representing a world champion boxer in the SDNY and leading appellate team in the Second Circuit.
- American Savings Bank v. United States – Led trial team that won an $83 million verdict after a 15-day trial in the US Court of Federal Claims.
- The Adam Corporation v. FDIC – Led team that won a "baseball-style" arbitration over hundreds of millions of dollars in tax benefits.
- In re Northwest Airlines – Secured a 'no strike' injunction in the SDNY and defended injunction in the Second Circuit, allowing airline to restructure, saving tens of thousands of jobs.
- López Torres v. New York State Board of Elections – Counsel to Hon. Margarita López Torres in landmark constitutional challenge to New York's judicial selection process. Four-week preliminary injunction hearing included testimony from more than a dozen sitting and former judges.
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1987
- BA, Yale College, 1984
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Tax Court
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Edmund L. Palmieri
- Served on the Judiciary Committee, New York City Bar