Kent Yalowitz is a trial and appellate lawyer. He is widely known for his successful representation of clients in high-profile, high-stakes cases. On the plaintiff side, he has won more than a billion dollars for clients in judgments and settlements. And on the defense side he has successfully defended clients with even larger amounts at stake.
Kent's recent cases include successfully defending the Republic of Venezuela against billions of dollars of claims; vindicating World Heavyweight Champion boxer Alexander Povetkin after doping accusations; and winning a $655.5 million jury verdict in favor of ten American families to hold the Palestinian Authority and the PLO accountable for their role in the loss of life and limb in horrific terror attacks. The PLO verdict was the largest personal injury jury verdict ever in the Southern District of New York.
He has deep experience in business disputes, bankruptcy and restructuring, securities fraud, product liability, antitrust, tax controversies, labor and employment disputes, and corporate governance matters. In addition to trial and appellate work, he has assisted clients with internal and governmental investigations and matters involving Congress.
Before entering private practice, he served as a law clerk for Judge Edmund L. Palmieri of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Sokolow v. PLO – Led a team that won a $655.5 million treble damages jury verdict after a seven-week trial under the Anti-Terrorism Act.
- Wilder v. World of Boxing – Led trial team representing a world champion boxer in the SDNY and defended appeal successfully in the Second Circuit.
- American Savings Bank v. United States – Led trial team that won an $83 million verdict after a 15-day trial in the US Court of Federal Claims.
- The Adam Corporation v. FDIC – Led team that won a "baseball-style" arbitration over hundreds of millions of dollars in tax benefits.
- In re Northwest Airlines – Secured a 'no strike' injunction in the SDNY and defended injunction in the Second Circuit, allowing airline to restructure, saving tens of thousands of jobs.
- López Torres v. New York State Board of Elections – Counsel to Hon. Margarita López Torres in landmark constitutional challenge to New York's judicial selection process. Four-week preliminary injunction hearing included testimony from more than a dozen sitting and former judges.
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1987
- BA, Yale College, 1984
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Tax Court
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Edmund L. Palmieri
- Serves on the Board of Success Academy Charter Schools, operator of 47 of the nation's highest performing public schools serving 17,000 scholars in grades K-12