Matt Salzmann's practice focuses on intellectual property law, including copyright, trademark, and trade dress litigation and counseling. He has broad experience in the area of brand protection and enforcement, including in civil and criminal anti-counterfeiting matters for prominent luxury goods companies. Mr. Salzmann also has commercial litigation experience, and has assisted clients in arbitrations and in various state and federal court matters.
- Jeanswear designers in numerous lawsuits challenging use of copyrighted and trademarked designs.
- Book publisher and retailer in copyright infringement action (Ward v. Barnes & Noble, Inc., et al. (13 Civ. 7851) (JMF)).
- World famous jewelry design house in trade secret action against former supplier (David Yurman Enterprises LLC v. Artifex S.p.A., et al. (13 Civ. 9094) (SAS) (AJP)).
- Luxury brand owner in a trademark counterfeiting and infringement action against prominent mid-tier brand and various licensees (Gucci America, Inc. v. Guess?, Inc., et al. (09 Civ. 4373) (SAS) (JLC)).
- World famous fashion and jewelry design houses in trademark, copyright, trade dress and design patent infringement action against websites selling knockoff designs (Yurman Studio, Inc. v. Elena Castaneda and Ejeweler LLC d/b/a Overstockjeweler.com (07 Civ. 1241) (SAS) and Cartier, a division of Richemont North America, Inc., Cartier International, N.V., Cartier Creation Studio, S.A., Van Cleef & Arpels, S.A., Van Cleef & Arpels, Inc., Van Cleef & Arpels Distribution, Inc., Gucci America, Inc. and Bulgari S.p.A. v. Elena Castaneda and Ejeweler LLC d/b/a Overstockjeweler.com (07 Civ. 7862) (SAS)).
- Luxury brand owner in an action against major retailer and supplier in counterfeiting and trade dress infringement action involving the sale of unauthorized fragrance products (Yves Saint Laurent Parfums, S.A. v. Costco Wholesale Corp., et al. (07 Civ. 3214) (LBS) (HBP)).
August 28, 2020
Chasing Pirates: DOJ Sinks "Sparks Group" in International Copyright Infringement Action
Enforcement Edge: Shining Light on Government Enforcement
World Trademark Review 1000
Enforcement and Litigation (NY) (2018–2023)
The Legal 500 US
"Next Generation Lawyer" – Intellectual Property: Trademarks - Litigation (2019-2020)
New York Super Lawyers
"Rising Star" – Intellectual Property Litigation (2014-2015)
- JD, Rutgers University School of Law, 2004, Order of the Coif
- BA, University of Vermont
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York