Our Healthcare Legislative and Public Policy team works seamlessly with our firm's top-rated Life Sciences and Healthcare Regulatory practice group to provide comprehensive policy solutions for a broad range of leaders in the healthcare industry, including hospital systems and other providers; medical professional associations; manufacturers and distributors of innovative medical devices, pharmaceuticals, biologics, and medical supplies; diagnostic and laboratory developers and facilities; nonprofit research institutions and data analytics firms; and healthcare technology companies. We provide our healthcare sector clients "one-stop shopping" by using an integrated, experienced, and efficient team approach to help clients navigate complex legislative and regulatory challenges, and to identify strategic opportunities to advance their companies' missions. We take the time to understand our clients' business needs and policy objectives so that we are well-positioned to advance beneficial legislative proposals or help prevent harmful proposals from becoming law. Our team members have substantial experience advocating before key members of Congress and their staffs on healthcare issues, negotiating Congressional investigations, preparing clients for hearings and testimony, developing coalitions and working with public relations and grassroots organizations.
The team includes four of The Hill's 2018 Top 100 "Hired Gun" lobbyists, as well as attorneys and healthcare policy professionals who have served in senior positions on healthcare committees in Congress, at the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Our practice focuses on a wide range of issues, including Affordable Care Act implementation, Medicare and Medicaid coverage and reimbursement, health care program integrity policy, public health programs, Congressional oversight, and coalition building and management. Additionally, our legislative team has experience representing universities and their related medical facilities in developing long-term plans to raise their profile and establish long-term federal funding streams.
- Secured a one-year delay of a Medicare site-neutral payment for a long-term care hospital client.
- On behalf of a medical device manufacturer client, led a coalition of manufacturers, providers, and patient groups in drafting bipartisan, bicameral legislation that would establish a new benefit category for our client's device.
- Developed and implemented a governmental relations strategy for a pharmacy trade association through the intense congressional and media investigations surrounding the fungal meningitis outbreak of 2012. Assisted the association with the preparation of internal documents and communications for a congressional submission requested by the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Investigations.
- Successfully secured a $8.5 million dollar authorization for a new VA clinic to be located at the campus of a major university. This authorization was the result of almost three years of work by the federal relations team and others that involved countless meetings and calls with local, regional, and DC VA officials; Members and staff of the Texas delegation; and the House and Senate VA Committee Members and staff.
- On behalf of two children's hospital clients and in coordination with other stakeholders, we worked to secure $295 million for the Children's Health Graduate Medical Education (CHGME) program in FY 2016, an increase of $30 million above FY 2015.
- Conceptualized, drafted, and facilitated the introduction of bipartisan legislation for a medical association client.
- Drafted key portions of a Supreme Court amicus brief on behalf of a coalition of healthcare data organizations supporting expanded access to inform state-level cost containment and quality improvement efforts.
- On behalf of a non-profit pro bono client, developed and implemented a legislative strategy to expand a palliative care program for children with life-threatening illnesses, currently operating under Medicaid Home and Community Based waivers.
- Aided a top research university in developing new research facilities supported by federal infrastructure funds.
- Worked with healthcare systems on legislative reforms to complex care for children.