Colleges, Universities, and Other Nonprofits
Our Real Estate attorneys:
- Represent public and private colleges and universities, private educational institutions, research organizations, federal government agencies, state and local governments and quasi-governmental agencies, foreign missions and embassies, professional and trade associations, labor unions, arts organizations, and charitable organizations.
- Work on acquisition, disposition, development, financing, leasing, and build-to-suits of all types of real property for such nonprofit clients.
- Understand the unique financial and funding situations, time horizons, programmatic imperatives, and risk sensitivities frequently inherent in real estate matters involving nonprofit clients.
- Counsel on unrelated business income tax (UBIT) issues that often arise when tax-exempt organizations are involved in real estate transactions.
- Structure multi-phase development and disposition transactions, often involving long-term ground leases that enable clients like colleges and universities to realize revenue from underutilized assets.
- Navigate applicable regulatory and political issues; for example, working with the Office of Foreign Missions on foreign embassy and chancery transactions and working within the local political constraints of quasi-governmental clients.