Syndicated & Leveraged Finance
Our Syndicated & Leveraged Finance practice counsels major US and international lenders and borrowers worldwide. We represent our clients in a broad array of transactions, ranging from the most intricate and complex financings to more traditional transactions. Our lawyers are involved in all aspects of structuring, negotiating, and documenting matters for our clients, and we collaborate with lawyers throughout the firm to address the corporate, securities, tax, and other issues that arise in these transactions. Our lawyers have been recognized by IFLR1000 (2013–2023) as one of the leading firms in the United States in the area of bank lending.
Our clients include major financial institutions, private equity and hedge funds, business development companies, and other institutional and non-bank lenders, as well as US and international companies in a variety of industries, including computers, communications, construction, government contracting, manufacturing, financial services, real estate, airlines, energy, healthcare, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, resorts, publishing and consumer products.
We regularly advise on multi-tier capital structures, including first/second lien debt, high yield debt, privately placed mezzanine debt and preferred equity issuances. We have the skill and experience to identify and negotiate the intercreditor and subordination issues that arise in these structures, taking into account relevant credit and market considerations.
Specific Areas of Focus:
- Acquisition finance: We work closely with attorneys in our M&A, private equity, capital markets, and venture capital practices to develop financing solutions for leveraged buyouts and other acquisition transactions on behalf of various types of investment funds and their portfolio companies. We represent many well-known financial institutions, corporate borrowers, and equity sponsors in the financing of mergers, asset and stock acquisitions, recapitalizations, and other change of control transactions.
- Syndicated lending: We represent commercial banks and other major financial institutions worldwide acting as agents, arrangers, and participants in a broad range of syndicated loan facilities. The global scope of our practice allows us to be fluent with credits that include multiple pricing and currency options.
- REIT Finance: We regularly act on behalf of leading financial institutions as agents, arrangers, and lenders in corporate-level credit facilities extended to public and private REITs and other real estate companies with portfolios in a wide variety of sectors, including commercial real estate, multifamily and single family residential real estate, technology, student housing, lodging, and healthcare.
- Asset-based lending: Our lawyers have been advising clients in the areas of asset-based lending for over forty years. We regularly negotiate and document inventory, receivables and equipment facilities for national retailers, industrial manufacturers and other concerns. The scope of our practice extends beyond the mainstream, to areas such as aviation, energy and motion picture finance. Our lawyers have extensive experience in securing credits with unusual or multi-jurisdictional collateral packages.
- Junior capital and uni-tranche financings: We have substantial experience representing providers of junior capital and providers of uni-tranche loans. The transactions we handle include subordinated debt, second-lien financings, mezzanine financings, uni-tranche loans, structured debt-equity investments, preferred stock financings, and similar financial products. We have represented junior capital and uni-tranche providers in their support of mergers and acquisitions (both financial and strategic), as well as in financial recapitalizations, growth capital financings, and dividend recaps.
- Distressed lending: Our lawyers also work regularly with our colleagues in the firm's Bankruptcy and Restructuring practice. We are skilled in the issues involved in workouts and insolvency proceedings that both lenders and borrowers may face in the current market, and are well-versed in debtor-in-possession financings, chapter 11 exit financings, restructurings, and workouts.
Key ContactsSee All Related Professionals
U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers"Best Law Firms" for Banking & Finance – National, DC (2024)
"Best Law Firms" for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity – National, New York, Colorado (2024)
IFLR1000Banking (USA) (2023)
The Legal 500 Latin AmericaBanking & Finance (2023)
Chambers GlobalBanking & Finance (Latin America-wide( (2021)
Chambers Latin AmericaBanking & Finance (2021)