As co-chair of the firm's White Collar Defense & Investigations practice, Marcus Asner draws on his extensive federal government experience and trial work to represent clients in complex criminal and civil litigation and investigations across a wide range of industries. He wins widespread praise from clients, one of whom describes him as "an extraordinarily knowledgeable lawyer with formidable expertise and an extremely practical approach." Marcus's white collar practice includes matters involving alleged violations of the FCPA, and cases involving cross-border disputes and investigations, allegations of money laundering, art fraud, healthcare fraud, cybercrime, data breaches, tax fraud, public corruption, and environmental crime. His civil litigation practice includes complex commercial and cross-border disputes, and expedited litigation matters in both federal and state courts. He also routinely advises clients on anti-corruption, supply chain and cyber security compliance issues.
Marcus served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York (2000-2009), where he was the Chief of the Major Crimes and Computer Hacking/Intellectual Property (now known as Complex Frauds) unit for two years, and served in the Public Corruption unit.
Marcus clerked for the Honorable Walter K. Stapleton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable John Feikens of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Marcus serves on the Lawyers Council of the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City and on the Wildlife Justice Commission's Advisory Council. From 2013 to 2016, he served on the President's Advisory Council on Wildlife Trafficking.
- Publicly traded U.S. energy company in advising on compliance policies program, with a focus on anti-corruption compliance.
- Major U.S. government contractor in connection with sprawling corruption investigation in Romania.
- UK and Israeli law firm in serving as expert witness in UK court proceedings relating to FCPA and other U.S. law issues. Vale et al. v. Steinmetz et al.
- Multinational technology company in SEC investigation involving company's business with the Middle Eastern government agencies.
- Multinational manufacturer in Petrobras FCPA/anticorruption "Car Wash" investigation conducted by the DOJ, the SEC, and Brazilian authorities.
- Multinational food and restaurant supply company in internal FCPA investigation into allegations of bribery in connection with company's business in the Ukraine.
- Major luxury goods retailer in connection with internal investigation into allegations of bribery arising out of company's business in Mexico.
- Global telecommunications company in FCPA investigation involving the company's activities in more than 15 countries in Europe, the Middle East, and Central America.
- Firearms manufacturer in FCPA investigation conducted by the DOJ regarding allegations of bribe payments to Indian government officials in efforts to win government contracts.
- Private equity firm in internal FCPA investigation involving allegations of bribery by portfolio company as part of an effort to win contracts in Romania and Colombia.
- Multiple employees of major financial institution in connection with DOJ and SEC “Sons and Daughters” investigation into institution's hiring practices in China.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1992, cum laude
- M.S., Mathematics, University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School, 1987
- A.B., Physics, University of Chicago, 1985, with honors
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Chief, Major Crimes and Computer Hacking/Intellectual Property Unit, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, The Honorable John Feikens
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, The Honorable Walter K. Stapleton
- Member, New York Council of Defense Lawyers
Member, New York City Bar Association
- President's Advisory Council on Wildlife Trafficking
Advisory Council, Wildlife Justice Commission
- Lawyers Council for the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City