As co-chair of the firm's White Collar Defense & Investigations practice, Marcus Asner draws on his extensive federal government experience and trial work to represent clients in complex criminal and civil litigation and investigations across a wide range of industries. He wins widespread praise from clients, one of whom describes him as "an extraordinarily knowledgeable lawyer with formidable expertise and an extremely practical approach." Mr. Asner's white collar practice includes matters involving alleged violations of the FCPA, and cases involving cross-border disputes and investigations, allegations of money laundering, art fraud, healthcare fraud, cybercrime, data breaches, tax fraud, public corruption, and environmental crime. His civil litigation practice includes complex commercial and cross-border disputes, and expedited litigation matters in both federal and state courts. He also routinely advises clients on anti-corruption and supply chain compliance issues.
Mr. Asner served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York (2000-2009), where he was the Chief of the Major Crimes and Computer Hacking/Intellectual Property (now known as Complex Frauds) unit for two years, and served in the Public Corruption unit.
Mr. Asner clerked for the Honorable Walter K. Stapleton of the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable John Feikens of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Asner serves on the Lawyers Council of the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City and on the Wildlife Justice Commission's Advisory Council. From 2013 to 2016, he served on the President's Advisory Council on Wildlife Trafficking.
- Multinational technology company in SEC investigation involving company's business with the Middle Eastern government agencies.
- Multinational manufacturer in Petrobras FCPA/anticorruption "Car Wash" investigation conducted by the DOJ, the SEC, and Brazilian authorities.
- Multinational food and restaurant supply company in internal FCPA investigation into allegations of bribery in connection with company's business in the Ukraine.
- Major luxury goods retailer in connection with internal investigation into allegations of bribery arising out of company's business in Mexico.
- Global telecommunications company in FCPA investigation involving the company's activities in more than 15 countries in Europe, the Middle East, and Central America.
- Firearms manufacturer in FCPA investigation conducted by the DOJ regarding allegations of bribe payments to Indian government officials in efforts to win government contracts.
- Private equity firm in internal FCPA investigation involving allegations of bribery by portfolio company as part of an effort to win contracts in Romania and Colombia.
- Multiple employees of major financial institution in connection with ongoing DOJ and SEC investigation into institution's hiring practices in China.
- Insurance company in a corruption investigation and prosecution involving New York State Senator Carl Kruger. Successfully obtained restitution for client, including legal fees incurred in assisting in the investigation and prosecution.
- Major European insurance company in FCPA investigation involving alleged bribery to win contracts in Indonesia. Successfully led company's cooperation with the DOJ and SEC, leading to declination from the DOJ and a favorable settlement with the SEC.
Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (Advice to Corporates) (2013-2019, 2021)
Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (Advice to Individuals) (2018-2019, 2021)
Cyber Law (including Data Privacy and Data Protection) (2017-2019)
Government Contracts (2019)
Technology: Data Protection and Privacy (2014-2019)
Financial Services: Regulatory (2011-2019)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1992, cum laude
- MS, Mathematics, University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School, 1987
- AB, Physics, University of Chicago, 1985, with honors
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- Chief, Major Crimes and Computer Hacking/Intellectual Property Unit, US Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, The Honorable John Feikens
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, The Honorable Walter K. Stapleton
Member, New York City Bar Association
- President's Advisory Council on Wildlife Trafficking
Advisory Council, Wildlife Justice Commission
- Lawyers Council for the Citizens Crime Commission of New York City