Julia Calderón Carcedo’s practice focuses on International Arbitration and Public International Law, Public Law and Regulated Sectors.
In the field of International Arbitration, Ms. Calderón Carcedo represents sovereign states, investors and corporate clients in investment and commercial disputes conducted under the rules of ICSID, UNCITRAL and ICC. She has advised clients in the fields of energy, banking, mining and transportation.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Calderón Carcedo was an associate in a London firm specialised in Public International Law where she advised clients in INTERPOL proceedings, treaty-base arbitrations and in proceedings before Human Rights Courts. She also advised clients and local counsel on public international law matters such as immunity, jurisdiction or state sovereignty.
Ms. Calderón Carcedo was also an associate in the Madrid office of a major Ibero-American firm where she specialised in International Arbitration, Public law, Regulated Sectors and Litigation. As part of her practice, she represented Spanish and multinational companies in matters relating to energy, infrastructure, public contracts, competition, banking and public services.
Ms. Calderón Carcedo is fluent in Spanish and has working knowledge of French.
- Carlos Ríos and Francisco Ríos v. Republic of Chile (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/16). Counsel to Respondent.
- Infinito Gold Ltd. v. Costa Rica (ICSID Case No. ARB/14/5). Counsel to Respondent.
- Latam Hydro LLC and CH Mamacocha S.R.L. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/19/28). Counsel to Respondent.
- Jochem Bernard Buse v. República de Panamá (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/12). Counsel to Claimant.
- Al Jazeera v. Egypt Al Jazeera Media Network v. The Arab Republic of Egypt (Caso CIADI No. ARB/16/1). Counsel to Respondent.
- The Republic of Croatia in two investor-state arbitrations presented by Austrian banks.
- A Spanish energy, construction and industrial group in a dispute before the CCI.
- A Spanish multinational bank in a dispute before the CCI.
- LLM, International law, University College London, 2017, Distinction
- BA, Law and International relations, 2010, Distinction
- England and Wales