Shishu Chen focuses her practice on intellectual property matters. Her experience includes advising clients on enforcing and defending patents, trade marks, designs, copyright and confidential information, and this has included coordinating investigations on counterfeiting activities, assisting in pre-action counseling and negotiations, acting for clients in both civil infringement litigation and criminal prosecution, representing clients in applications for site-blocking orders, and initiating and defending trade mark opposition proceedings.
Ms. Chen also advises clients on IP-related issues arising from commercial transactions, and assists clients with the drafting of agreements for licensing, contract manufacturing, franchising, joint development, and supply of goods and services. She has experience in conducting full suite IP audits to support IP valuations, and regularly assists with IP due diligence exercises.
Ms. Chen acts for clients across a range of sectors and industries, including pharmaceutical, life sciences, fintech, education, food & nutrition and retail. She is qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales, and as an advocate and solicitor of Singapore. She is fluent in Mandarin.
- Fortune 500 multinational life sciences conglomerate in arbitration proceedings in which the licensor sought nearly $100 million dollars by way of outstanding royalty payments from a patent licence.
- Global pharmaceutical company on preliminary injunction applications in multiple jurisdictions relating to the protection of confidential information.
- Multinational technology company in a significant dispute relating to the provision of IT platform services.
- Global manufacturer of ingredients and pharmaceutical excipients in several trade mark oppositions.
- Global pharmaceutical corporation on notification requirements and procedure for parallel relating to imports by parallel traders.
- Fintech company in its global brand management protection and enforcement strategy.
- Global education and travel organization in an IP dispute regarding a collaboration with a UK University.
- Providing strategic advice to numerous clients on IP issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic and on the application of the exhaustion of IP rights regime following the end of the Brexit transition period.
- Representing various charities and not-for-profit organisations pro bono in branding disputes with third parties and providing advice on trade mark prosecution strategy.
- Master of Laws, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Bachelor of Laws, National University of Singapore
- BSc, Life Sciences, National University of Singapore
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Singapore
- Chinese (Mandarin)