Mel Cherney is co-chair of the firm's Corporate and Finance practice group. He regularly represents private equity firms, entrepreneurs, and other buyers and sellers of public and private companies in many different industries. He also advises boards of directors and independent committees concerning corporate governance and other matters, and represents issuers and others in connection with securities offerings.
Mr. Cherney is recognized as a leading lawyer by numerous publications for his work in private equity and mergers and acquisitions.
- American Securities in various acquisitions and investments, including, most recently:
- Sale of SeaStar Solutions, a global provider of technology and system integration for the marine industry, to Dometic Group for $875 million (we represented American Securities and SeaStar).
- Acquisition of Mortgage Contracting Services, a leading national provider of outsourced solutions for mortgage services across the mortgage cycle.
- Acquisition of Milk Specialties Global, a leading human and animal nutrition company, from Kainos Capital.
- Sale of Robertson Fuel Systems to HEICO Electronics Technologies Corp. for $255 million.
- Sale of specialty paper coating and finishing company FiberMark Inc. to Neenah Paper Inc. for $120 million.
- Acquisition of Learning Care Group (US) Inc., a provider of early education and child care services, from Morgan Stanley Global Private Equity.
- Purchase of all of the outstanding equity of H.I.G. Marine, LLC, a leading global provider of precision-engineered components and systems for vessel control and other specialized applications in the marine and industrial end markets.
- Acquisition of Frontier Spinning Mills Holding Corp., a leading producer of cotton yarn for the knitting and weaving industries, from an affiliate of Sun Capital Partners, Inc.
- Sale of NEP Broadcasting, a leading provider of outsourced teleproduction services for live sports and entertainment events, to Crestview Partners (we represented American Securities and NEP Broadcasting).
- EQT Partners in its acquisition of Dorner, a US-based leading global provider of purpose-built, high quality precision conveyor systems, from Incline Equity Partners.
- Ultrafabrics LLC, a leading provider of high-performance polyurethane fabrics, on the sale of 84.21 percent of its equity to Daiichi Kasei Co., Ltd., a Japan-based die manufacturer listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, for approximately $126 million.
- Sonaca Group, a Belgian aerospace company, in its acquisition of LMI Aerospace Inc., a US-headquartered publicly traded supplier of integrated solutions in aerostructures, engineering, and program management.
- Excel Orthopedic Rehabilitation P.A., the premier provider of sports and orthopedic physical therapy and rehabilitation services in northern New Jersey, in connection with a majority investment by a group led by Caymus Equity Partners.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in a $500 million indirect investment and 25 percent acquisition of Jefferies LoanCore and the formation of a new $1 billion mortgage lending platform in the form of a joint venture REIT, together with GIC and LoanCore Capital.
- Fremont Private Holdings, the private direct investment arm of the Fremont Group, in its strategic equity investment in Minnesota-based Process Displays LLC, a leading retail environment design and manufacturing company, for an undisclosed purchase price.
- Independent special committee of Baltic Trading Limited, a transporter of iron ore, coal, grain, steel, and other drybulk cargoes, in its merger with parent company Genco Shipping & Trading Limited in a stock-for-stock transaction.
- AGF Management Limited, one of Canada's premier independent investment management firms, in its strategic acquisition of an ownership stake in FFCM, a Boston-based ETF advisor and asset management firm.
Private Equity Buyouts (2018)
"Leading Lawyer" – M&A, Private Equity (US) (2015-2017)
Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2018)
- JD, Cornell Law School, 1977, magna cum laude
- BA, Queens College of The City University of New York, 1973, cum laude
- New York