Sean Curran's practice encompasses the representation of both corporates and individuals in regulatory and economic crime matters. He has deep experience advising on investigations, regulatory and legal compliance, civil matters involving accusations of fraud and related crisis management and reputational damage.
In addition to working on matters involving various UK prosecutorial and regulatory bodies, including the Serious Fraud Office, Crown Prosecution Service, Financial Conduct Authority, HMRC and Financial Reporting Council, Sean is regularly instructed on cases with cross-border or multi-jurisdictional aspects, dealing with matters investigated by the US Department of Justice and the European Anti-Fraud Office.
He is frequently engaged by those in civil and criminal matters with significant public profiles including, for example, journalists alleged to have committed serious criminal misconduct and traders accused of rigging LIBOR. He is also experienced in defending executives and professionals in complex criminal matters involving allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption.
Sean brings significant trial experience, knowledge of litigation practices and procedures in varied forums, and forensic analysis skills to his work, which throughout his legal career has resulted in the settlement or favourable resolution of many high-stakes civil, and criminal disputes.
- Acted for a foreign government to recover the proceeds of an internationally-perpetrated, multi-million dollar environmental crime.
- Represented a senior executive against allegations of bribery and corruption in a multi-jurisdictional investigation being conducted by the SFO.
- Advised a senior executive in relation to an FCA investigation in relation to breach of Individual Conduct Rules, as well as assisting with a concurrent US investigation.
- Acted in large-scale class action litigation in relation to alleged construction industry blacklisting.
- Defended a trader accused of LIBOR rigging and engaged in negotiations with UK and US authorities.
- Defended a financial institution headquartered in a European member state against allegations of money laundering brought by the European Anti-Fraud Office.
- Represented a number of senior journalists in criminal and civil litigation arising from allegations of serious criminal misconduct in the British media.
- Represented a number of individuals in Section 2 interviews conducted by the SFO.
- Represented a company director in a carbon credit fraud probe valued at £38 million.
- Acted for a US-based tech company on pursuing criminal and civil remedies against a fraud perpetrated against the business in the UK.
- Advised employees of a multinational investment bank being investigated in the US and UK in relation to the bank's involvement in a fraud scheme.
- Represented individuals of an international commodity company in an FCPA investigation.
- Contested extradition of a businessman accused of money laundering and other economic crimes in France.
- Advised major luxury goods retailer on Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Bribery and Corruptions and Sanctions policies and procedures to ensure compliance with UK and EU laws and regulations.
- Advised various corporates in relation to compliance with UK Bribery Act and Money Laundering Regulations.
- Advised the Audit Committee of a UK-listed company and conducted an internal investigation into protected disclosures made by a whistleblower, who alleged misconduct by one of the company's executives.
- LLB, College of Law, 2001
- LLB, Queen's University, 2000, with honors
- England and Wales
- Northern Ireland