Sean Curran's practice encompasses the representation of both corporates and individuals in regulatory and economic crime matters. He has deep experience advising on investigations, regulatory and legal compliance, civil matters involving accusations of fraud and related crisis management and reputational damage.
In addition to working on matters involving various UK prosecutorial and regulatory bodies, including the Serious Fraud Office, Crown Prosecution Service, Financial Conduct Authority, HMRC and Financial Reporting Council, Sean is regularly instructed on cases with cross-border or multi-jurisdictional aspects, dealing with matters investigated by the US Department of Justice and the European Anti-Fraud Office.
He is frequently engaged by those in civil and criminal matters with significant public profiles including, for example, journalists alleged to have committed serious criminal misconduct and traders accused of rigging LIBOR. He is also experienced in defending executives and professionals in complex criminal matters involving allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption.
Sean brings significant trial experience, knowledge of litigation practices and procedures in varied forums, and forensic analysis skills to his work, which throughout his legal career has resulted in the settlement or favourable resolution of many high-stakes civil, and criminal disputes.
- Represented a senior executive against allegations of bribery and corruption in a multi-jurisdictional investigation being conducted by the SFO.
- Advised a senior executive in relation to an FCA investigation in relation to breach of Individual Conduct Rules, as well as assisting with a concurrent US investigation.
- Defended a financial institution headquartered in a European member state against allegations of money laundering brought by the European Anti-Fraud Office.
- Travel technology company in respect of an internal investigation in the UK and US into potential breaches of Russia-related sanctions, including disclosure to OFSI.
- Retail management company in respect of an internal investigation into potential breaches of Russia-related sanctions, including disclosure to OFSI.
- Advised the Audit Committee of a UK-listed company and conducted an internal investigation into protected disclosures made by a whistleblower, who alleged misconduct by one of the company's executives.
- Individual investigated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales in relation to issues of failure to prevent tax evasion.
- Represented a number of individuals in Section 2 interviews conducted by the SFO.
- Represented a company director in a carbon credit fraud probe valued at £38 million.
- Advised employees of a multinational investment bank being investigated in the US and UK in relation to the bank's involvement in a fraud scheme.
- Represented individuals of an international commodity company in an FCPA investigation.
"Leading Individual" — Fraud: White-Collar Crime (2023)
Fraud: White Collar Crime (2021-2023)
Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime (2013-2015, 2018-2023)
- LL.B., College of Law, 2001
- LL.B., Queen’s University, 2000, with honors
- England and Wales
- Northern Ireland