Matt Douglas is a litigator whose practice focuses on environmental matters and product liability litigation, including extensive work in the energy and pharmaceutical sectors. His experience includes environmental, product liability, consumer class actions, and antitrust matters. His environmental work has included Natural Resource Damages (NRD) litigation, Clean Water Act (CWA) enforcement and permitting cases, CERCLA litigation, and Endangered Species Act work. He was counsel to BP in the Deepwater Horizon matter for its internal investigation and for the defense of NRD and CWA claims. He has served as lead trial counsel in a variety of cases, and has trial experience in Colorado and many other states.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Douglas practiced general civil litigation and criminal defense with an emphasis on trial work.
- BP with respect to the Deepwater Horizon Gulf of Mexico oil spill, including as counsel to BP for NRD matters and for its internal investigation of the spill.
- Major pharmaceutical company as counsel in defense of nationwide mass tort litigation, including multiple trials.
- Manufacturing company as lead counsel in CERCLA litigation.
- Transportation company as lead counsel in defense of Clean Water Act enforcement action.
- Oil and gas operators as lead counsel in Clean Water Act enforcement and permitting matters.
- Major retailer as counsel in consumer fraud class action litigation involving attempts by plaintiffs to obtain nationwide recalls of consumer products, including the defeat of class certification in multiple cases.
- Lead trial counsel in an action opposing a proposed high-voltage transmission line before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission.
- Energy company as lead counsel in defense of antitrust litigation, including individual and class action cases.
- Lead trial and appellate counsel in the challenge of a Colorado school voucher program, resulting in a permanent injunction to stop the program which was upheld by the Colorado Supreme Court.
- Accounting firm as lead counsel in a securities case, resulting in dismissal of all claims against the client.
- JD, University of Colorado Law School, 1995
- BA, University of Texas, 1991
- Eighth Judicial District, Colorado, The Honorable John-David Sullivan