Niels Christian Ersbøll advises clients on EU competition law in relation to merger control, cartels and restrictive practices, and abuse of dominance.
He has assisted clients in obtaining merger control clearance on a number of significant transactions before the European Commission and coordinating strategy and submissions before competition authorities worldwide for clients such as AT&T, Pfizer and Boston Scientific.
In relation to cartels, Mr. Ersbøll has successfully acted for companies seeking leniency (immunity as well as fine reductions) before the European Commission, he has appeared before the EU General Court on appeal of European Commission decisions, and is advising on follow-on damage claims. Mr. Ersbøll also has significant experience helping clients with designing and implementing compliance measures and conducting internal investigations and audits.
Outside investigations related work, Mr. Ersbøll regularly advises clients in relation to, for example, distribution and pricing arrangements, parallel trade, and various forms of cooperation agreements and strategic alliances between competitors. He acts for clients in many industries, and has particular experience within the life sciences and the transport & logistics sectors.
- Advising companies in relation to cartel follow-on damages claims.
- Shipping company in obtaining immunity from fines in relation to a European Commission cartel investigation.
- Optical disk drive manufacturer as leniency applicant in the European Commission's investigation into an alleged cartel, including subsequent appeal to the EU General Court.
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers in relation to advice on pricing, joint promotions, distribution and market access issues.
- Industrial equipment supplier in relation to strategic alliance with a competitor on specialization and the provision of joint services worldwide.
- Car component manufacturer in relation to a European Commission investigation into an alleged cartel.
- Supplier of market intelligence information in relation to an investigation into alleged abuse of dominance, including margin squeeze and refusal to supply.
- International company in conducting a large-scale internal antitrust audit.
- Large international pharmaceutical company in detailed advice on setting up and managing a supply quota system and advice around related distribution issues.
- Advising an international vaccines manufacturer on a joint production and distribution arrangement, including detailed compliance guidance.
- Extensive advice to trade associations in the field of human vaccines regarding antitrust compliance.
- Advising several international shipping companies on compliance risks in relation to pool agreements and in representations before the European Commission. Conducting detailed review and analysis of pool agreements and advising on strategy.
- European Community Shipowners' Associations (ECSA) in its representations before the European Commission's Directorate General for Competition in connection with the review of the application of EC competition law to shipping pools.
"Foreign Expert for Denmark" – Competition/European Law (Belgium) (2019)
- Socrates Deploma, European Law, University of Brussels (ULB), Belgium, 2000
- MA, Copenhagen University, 2000
- MB, Copenhagen University, 1998
- Erasmus Diploma, European Law, University of Leuven (KUL), Belgium, 1999
- Brussels, Belgium
Member of the Board of the European Maritime Law Organisation (EMLO)