Arnold & Porter's Antitrust/Competition practice is recognized worldwide for its breadth, depth, and excellence.
- Approximately 120 attorneys in our US and European offices handle complex and critical antitrust/competition matters.
- Our experience covers the full range of US and EU antitrust issues, such as mergers, pricing, distribution, intellectual property, dominance and abusive conduct, cartel, and state aids (both at the EU and Member State levels).
- Because our antitrust practice regularly handles the full range of complex antitrust matters (including merger clearances, civil investigations, criminal/cartel investigations, class action antitrust litigation, and counseling/compliance programs), our clients benefit from the multiple perspectives we bring to every engagement.
- Our deep understanding of the antitrust agencies and our frequent dealings with them give our antitrust attorneys both valuable insight and credibility. Our team includes lawyers who have previously held significant senior government positions in Europe and the US, including the former Assistant Attorney General for Antitrust at the US Department of Justice (DOJ), two Directors of the Bureau of Competition at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Director-General for Competition of the European Commission (EC), Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Civil and Criminal Operations of the Antitrust Division, Deputy Director in the Bureau of Competition at the FTC, two Chiefs of Staff at the Antitrust Division, Assistant Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition, and Head of the Food and Pharmaceuticals and Financial Services Units in the European Commission's Competition Directorate General.
- We frequently represent companies facing multi-jurisdictional merger, cartel, or abuse of dominance/monopolization investigations. Where appropriate, we involve attorneys from other practice groups for a multidisciplinary approach to client challenges.
- Our experience spans virtually all industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, chemicals, energy, electronics, software, consumer goods and services, media, medical devices, and telecommunications.
- Publications and ranking services repeatedly recognize the quality of our Antitrust practice, including Global Competition Review (we were named one of the publication's "GCR Global Elite" firms in 2019), Chambers, Law360, The Legal 500, US News & World Report / Best Lawyers, and The Vault Guide and LMG Life Sciences.
Obtained US and EU competition clearances in connection with the company’s $66 billion acquisition by Bayer as well as coordinated antitrust/competition approvals in almost 30 other jurisdictions worldwide.
Obtained antitrust clearances associated with the creation of a joint venture with Exxon-Mobil to build and operate an over US $7.0 billion petrochemical plant producing ethylene and ethylene derivatives.
Obtained antitrust clearance for the company’s €12.35 billion acquisition of Alstom.
Obtained antitrust clearance for the client’s US$2.5 billion merger with Harris Teeter Supermarkets.
Represents automotive parts manufacturer in indirect purchaser class actions brought on behalf of auto dealers and end-payors alleging price-fixing with regard to automotive lighting products.
"GCR Global Elite" – List of the world's top 25 firms for competition (2008-2019)
"Women in Antitrust" (2013)
Competition/European Law (Belgium) (2012-2019)
Competition/Antitrust (Global-wide) (2017-2019)
Antitrust (New York) (2019)