John Fietkiewicz is a member of the firm's White Collar Litigation and Complex Litigation practices. His practice encompasses white collar criminal defense, internal and government investigations, corporate compliance and governance, and commercial litigation.
Mr. Fietkiewicz brings more than three decades of experience handling federal white-collar investigations and prosecutions from the grand jury stage through trial or other resolution. As part of the executive team at the US Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey from 2010 until 2018, Mr. Fietkiewicz also supervised, and assisted the US Attorney in supervising, all criminal and civil matters handled by the approximately 150 attorneys in the Office. Throughout his career, both personally and as a supervisor, Mr. Fietkiewicz handled white collar matters involving securities fraud, corporate fraud, health care fraud, official corruption, bank fraud, tax fraud, cybercrime, the FCPA, defense contracting, environmental crimes, civil rights, and money laundering, as well as blue collar cases involving narcotics distribution, property crimes, and violent crimes.
Mr. Fietkiewicz held a variety of positions during his tenure with the US Attorney's Office. Most recently, as Counsel to the US Attorney, he created, implemented, and managed an innovative office-wide criminal trial program through which he supervised all criminal trials and provided advice to all trial teams on legal and evidentiary issues, trial strategy and tactics, witness preparation, witness examinations, and jury arguments. In his many years as a supervisor and Senior Litigation Counsel, Mr. Fietkiewicz also trained AUSAs on federal law and practice and advised and assisted AUSAs in their handling of investigations and prosecutions.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Fietkiewicz was in private practice and participated in all aspects of a national corporate litigation practice.
Claudia Flynn Award for Professional Responsibility, US Department of Justice, Attorney General’s Award (2016)
Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant US Attorney, US Department of Justice, Executive Office for US Attorneys (2008)
Personal Commendations from US Attorney General Janet Reno and FBI Director Louis Freeh for the Successful Prosecution of a Widespread Stock Manipulation Scheme Emanating from Sheffield Securities in Florida (1996)
Personal Commendations from US Attorney General Janet Reno and FBI Director Louis Freeh for the Successful Prosecution of a Widespread Stock Manipulation Scheme Emanating from Monarch Funding in New York (1995)
Special Achievement Awards for Sustained Superior Performance, US Department of Justice (1989, 1993, 2012)
- JD, Fordham University School of Law, cum laude
- BA, Montclair State College, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- Counsel to the US Attorney; Chief Litigation Counsel; Professional Responsibility Officer; Senior Litigation Counsel, Special Prosecutions Division; Deputy Chief, Fraud Division; Assistant US Attorney, US Attorney’s Office, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Gerard L. Goettel
- Frequent lecturer and panelist on numerous topics concerning white-collar prosecutions, trial practice, evidence, professional responsibility, and federal criminal practice.
- Instructor, National Advocacy Center, Basic Criminal Trial Advocacy Program and Evidence for Experienced Criminal Litigators Program
- Instructor, Legal Writing and Research, Fordham University School of Law
- Master of the Bench, C. Willard Heckel Inn of Court
- Member, ABA and Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Editor-in-Chief, Fordham Law Review