John Fietkiewicz draws on three decades of experience as a federal prosecutor in the District of New Jersey to counsel a wide array of corporate and individual clients in dealing with criminal and civil investigations and litigation. He defends clients in criminal prosecutions and government investigations, conducts internal investigations, counsels on corporate compliance, and litigates complex civil claims. During his career in government and private practice, Mr. Fietkiewicz has personally handled and supervised a variety of white collar matters from the investigative stage through trial and appeal. These cases have involved bank, corporate, health care, securities, and tax fraud; official corruption; antitrust; money laundering; defense contracting; and cybercrime.
As part of the US Attorney's executive team from 2010 until 2018, Mr. Fietkiewicz oversaw the full array of criminal and civil cases handled by the approximately 150 attorneys in the Office. Notably, as Counsel to the US Attorney, he created, implemented, and managed an innovative office-wide criminal trial program through which he supervised all criminal trials and provided advice to all trial teams on legal and evidentiary issues, trial strategy and tactics, witness preparation, witness examinations, and jury arguments. In his many years as a supervisor and Senior Litigation Counsel, Mr. Fietkiewicz trained AUSAs on federal law and practice and in their handling of investigations and prosecutions.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Fietkiewicz was the Editor-in-Chief of the Fordham Law Review, a Law Clerk to the Honorable Gerard L. Goettel, US District Judge, Southern District of New York, and a civil litigator at a large New York law firm.
He is a frequent lecturer and panelist on numerous topics concerning white collar prosecutions, trial practice, evidence, professional responsibility, and federal criminal practice.
- A New Jersey medical center and its parent health care system, in conducting an internal investigation and coordinating the response to multiple enforcement investigations and regulatory reviews following allegations in the national press that patient care in the hospital's heart transplant program was compromised to improve survival statistics.
- A disaster recovery company, in investigating possible fraud against the company during the course of work in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria in 2017, prosecuting, defending, and ultimately favorably settling related lawsuits in NJ State Court, and Texas Federal and State Courts, and counseling the company on various corporate and tax matters.
- A fuel testing and inspection company, in conducting an internal investigation and leading the company's defense to a federal investigation of past billing practices.
- A waste disposal company that also holds a DEA registration as a reverse distributor for the disposal of controlled substance pharmaceuticals, in defending the company in a federal investigation of alleged false statements on DEA forms and negotiating a favorable settlement without any admission of liability.
- A mechanical services company and its principals, in defending them in a federal antitrust investigation of alleged price fixing in the mechanical services industry.
- A physician, in defending him in a federal criminal tax investigation.
- A national New Jersey community bank, in counseling it in connection with multiple federal investigations of the bank's clients and coordinating the bank's response to those investigations.
- Former directors of that national New Jersey community bank in defending them in an OCC enforcement action and negotiating favorable settlements without any admissions of liability.
- JD, Fordham University School of Law, cum laude
- BA, Montclair State College, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- Counsel to the US Attorney; Chief Litigation Counsel; Professional Responsibility Officer; Senior Litigation Counsel, Special Prosecutions Division; Deputy Chief, Fraud Division; Assistant US Attorney, US Attorney’s Office, District of New Jersey
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Gerard L. Goettel, US District Judge, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Gerard L. Goettel
- Instructor, National Advocacy Center, Basic Criminal Trial Advocacy Program and Evidence for Experienced Criminal Litigators Program
- Instructor, Legal Writing and Research, Fordham University School of Law
- Master of the Bench, C. Willard Heckel Inn of Court
- Member, ABA and Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Editor-in-Chief, Fordham Law Review