Kathleen Harris is head of the London office and co-chair of the firm's Anti-Corruption practice where she represents companies and individuals in a wide range of industries. Kathleen is recognised internationally as a leader in her practice area. She represents a FTSE 100 Company in relation to a financial fraud case and another FTSE 100 Company in relation to a global investigation. Her representations include GSK, Hewlett Packard, News UK and individuals in relation to investigations into Barclays, Rolls Royce, and Tesco. She is regularly instructed by companies and individuals in a range of other high-profile criminal matters. Kathleen specialises in financial crime, however she is a highly respected practitioner in all areas of crime and her pro bono work includes acting for vulnerable individuals within the criminal justice system.
In The Legal 500 she is recognised as having a "very keen intellect." Chambers and Partners has recognised her as a leading individual in her field. She is an accomplished litigator with extensive knowledge of and experience in matters involving internal and external investigations and prosecutions under the full range of potential criminal offences and sanctions. Kathleen has broad experience advising government ministers on the development and implementation of policy and fraud strategy, and leading complex overseas enquiries and analyses.
Kathleen is a member of the Corporate Governance working group of the firm, and with her experience, clients, Board of Directors, and Special committees regularly rely on her counsel with respect to complex corporate governance issues.
She has written articles on the Deferred Prosecution Agreement and UK Bribery Act, as well as newsletters covering the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and UK Enforcement updates.
Before joining the firm, Kathleen served as a Senior Civil Servant Heading the Fraud Business Group and Head of Policy at the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), Senior Strategic Policy Adviser in the Attorney General's Office, and held positions in HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), The Revenue and Customs Prosecutions Office, and the Department of Works and Pensions in the United Kingdom.
Kathleen has led the prosecution of organisations involved in high-profile bribery investigations, complex financial crime, and tax evasion.
- Representing an FTSE 100 company in a multi-jurisdictional investigations subject to concurrent investigation by the DOJ, SEC, FSA, and SFO.
- Criminal Adviser to the Management and Standards Committee at News Corporation in relation to the investigations involving voicemail interception and payments to public officials which included advising on all concurrent proceedings. Successfully defended the company in relation to all allegations of alleged wrongdoing.
- Advising a multi-national information technology company following the identification of irregularities in relation to its acquisition of another multi-national software company.
- Individuals from the UK in relation to a US investigation currently being conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), in relation to investments made in a foreign country.
- Representing an individual during an FCA investigation in relation to breach of Individual Conduct Rules, as well as assisting with the concurrent US investigation. Resulted in negotiation of a Final Notice with the FCA and PRS.
- Defended a financial institution headquartered in a European member state against allegations of money laundering brought by the European Anti-Fraud Office.
- Contested extradition of a businessman accused of money laundering and other economic crimes in France.
- Represented multiple individuals in relation to investigations conducted by the SFO, CPS and FCA.
- Advising a company on how to comply with the Data Protection Act when transferring data overseas.
- Individuals in multi-national companies in responding to statutory requirements to answer questions made by the Serious Fraud Office in relation to their investigation of the company.
- Advised the Audit Committee of a UK-listed company and conducted an internal investigation into protected disclosures made by a whistleblower, who alleged misconduct by one of the company's executives.
- Represented an individual, in respect to a FCA and PRA investigation following allegations of seeking to identify a whistleblower.
- Representing a high-profile individual in connection with a high-value business dispute involving allegations of fraud and undue influence.
Corporate Crime & Investigations (UK-wide) (2014-2016)
"Leading Individual"–Fraud: White-Collar Crime (2022)
Fraud: White-Collar Crime (2020-2022)
Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime (2012-2022)
- Inns of Court School of Law, 1998
- LLB, Thames Valley University, 1997, with honors
- Diploma in Magisterial Law, Kingsway College, 1992, with distinction
- England and Wales
- Head, Fraud Business Group, UK Serious Fraud Office
- Senior Strategic Policy Adviser, UK Attorney General's Office
Member, Employed Bar Committee for The Bar Council of England and Wales