As a former Chief of the Criminal Division for the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado, Suneeta Hazra brings nearly two decades of experience to counsel both individual and corporate clients on internal and government investigations, cybersecurity matters, and environmental enforcement actions. Suneeta regularly represents clients before the DOJ and the SEC. She has experience across a variety of industries, representing pharmaceutical and medical device companies, healthcare providers, and consumer product and energy companies, among others. Suneeta is an important addition to the firm’s well-regarded white collar practice, offering clients on the ground capabilities in the Western market. Additionally, she is an IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and regularly counsels clients on incident response, cybersecurity and data privacy matters.
During her tenure as Criminal Chief, Suneeta supervised all criminal investigations and prosecutions in the state and coordinated all civil and criminal healthcare investigations, as well as cyber-enabled crimes and national security matters. While at the U.S. Attorney's Office, she also held a number of other senior positions, including Chief of the Economic Crimes Section and Chief of the Major Crimes Section. In her various roles, she tried more than 35 cases and led investigations and prosecutions involving investment and healthcare fraud, insider trading, environmental crimes, money laundering, commercial disputes, tax, export control violations, and other economic crimes. She was recognized for her skill in investigating and trying complex high profile cases with the Attorney General's Distinguished Service Award in 2016.
Before joining the U.S. Attorney's Office in Denver, Suneeta served as a trial attorney in the Division of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., and was in private practice.
- Multinational healthcare manufacturer in conducting an investigation in Japan regarding kickbacks/AKS violations.
- Major pharmaceutical company in connection with DOJ investigation related to off-label promotion and speaker program.
- NYSE-listed kidney dialysis centers company in connection with two different FDA complaints. The firm was able to resolve both complaints in the client’s favor.
- Institution in connection with DOJ investigation into FDA violations.
- One of the largest ophthalmic cataract practices in the country in a DOJ investigation regarding alleged kickbacks, as well as two individual defendants in a second False Claims Act (FCA) case.
- Nursing home rehabilitation center in California in internal investigation regarding potential Medicaid fraud.
- Pharmaceutical company in a civil RICO action arising out of an FCA and Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) kickback scheme, as well as in an investigation into their promotion and marketing of a certain drug.
- Durable medical equipment company in connection with a government investigation related to the company's financing practices and the (AKS).
- Biopharmaceutical company in an investigation into allegations of misuse and fraud regarding the use of a copay and bridge program.
- Biopharmaceutical company in responding to a CID from a State AG regarding potential antitrust violations.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- B.A., Yale University, with distinction
Government & Military Service
- United States Attorney's Office in Colorado, Chief of the Criminal Division
- United States Attorney's Office in Colorado, Chief of the Economic Crimes Section
- United States Attorney's Office in Colorado, Chief of the Major Crimes Section
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, The Honorable Robert R. Merhige, Jr.
- Co-Leader, Women’s White Collar Defense Association, Denver Chapter
- South Asian Bar Association of Colorado: Chair, Judicial Nominations Committee
- Former Chair, Committee on Conduct; U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Partner, Diversity on the Bench Coalition
- Member, Law360 White Collar Editorial Advisory Board (2021)