As a former federal prosecutor in the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado, Suneeta Hazra brings nearly two decades of experience to counsel clients on internal and government investigations, cybersecurity matters, and environmental enforcement actions. Her practice focuses on representing pharmaceutical and life sciences companies and medical providers, among others. She is an important addition to the firm’s well-regarded white collar practice, offering clients on the ground capabilities in the Western market.
Ms. Hazra brings a distinct perspective, most recently having served as Chief of the Criminal Division in the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Colorado, where she supervised approximately 75 attorneys and staff and was responsible for all criminal investigations and prosecutions in the state, in addition to coordinating all civil and criminal healthcare investigations. Under her leadership, the Criminal Division established the Cybercrime and National Security Section, whose sole focus was to investigate and prosecute cyber-enabled crimes and national security matters. Ms. Hazra also created a Digital Currency Crimes Coordinator position, one of the first—and now a leading one in the country—to address the threat of criminals using dark-net forums and cryptocurrency to commit crimes. She is an IAPP Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
During her tenure at the US Attorney's Office, Ms. Hazra held a number of other senior positions, including Chief of the Economic Crimes Section, Chief of the Major Crimes Section, Computer Hacking Intellectual Property Coordinator, Environmental Crimes Coordinator, and Opioid/Healthcare Fraud Coordinator. In these roles, she tried more than 35 cases and led investigations and prosecutions involving investment and healthcare fraud, insider trading, environmental crimes, money laundering, commercial disputes, tax, export control violations, and other economic crimes. She was recognized for her skill in investigating and trying complex high profile cases with the Attorney General's Distinguished Service Award in 2016.
In these positions, Ms. Hazra gained invaluable experience that she is able to draw upon for her clients. As the Opioid Coordinator, she led civil and criminal opioid investigations of pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors and providers, including False Claims Act, illegal kickbacks and other healthcare fraud crimes.
Before joining the US Attorney's Office in Denver, Ms. Hazra served as a trial attorney in the Division of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs at the US Department of Justice in Washington, DC, and was in private practice.
- Major pharmaceutical company in connection with DOJ investigation related to off label promotion and speaker program.
- NYSE-listed kidney dialysis centers company in connection with two different FDA complaints. The firm was able to resolve both complaints in the client’s favor.
- Institution in connection with DOJ investigation into FDA violations.
- Investigation involving national pharmaceutical company for health care fraud.
- Investigation involving criminal HIPAA violations for covered entities and individuals.
- Successfully tried and convicted chiropractor engaged in illegal health care billing practices.
- Investigation involving medical providers for unlawful kickbacks and pharmacies for healthcare fraud and false statements.
- Investigation involving national pharmaceutical company for money laundering and criminal violations under the False Claims Act.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law
- BA, Yale University, with distinction
- United States Attorney's Office in Colorado, Chief of the Criminal Division
- United States Attorney's Office in Colorado, Chief of the Economic Crimes Section
- United States Attorney's Office in Colorado, Chief of the Major Crimes Section
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, The Honorable Robert R. Merhige, Jr.
- Co-Leader, Women’s White Collar Defense Association, Denver Chapter
- South Asian Bar Association of Colorado: Chair, Judicial Nominations Committee
- Former Chair, Committee on Conduct; US District Court for the District of Colorado
- Partner, Diversity on the Bench Coalition
- Member, Law360 White Collar Editorial Advisory Board (2021)