William Hoffman represents a number of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the world in a wide range of litigation and counseling matters. William is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who has represented a wide range of clients in major product liability and other complex litigation, criminal investigations, actions by State Attorneys General, regulatory matters and litigation avoidance counseling. He has tried a number of cases to verdict in both state and federal court and has argued numerous appeals.
From 1992 to 1996, William served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, where he represented the government in a wide range of civil litigation and criminal investigations.
William served as a law clerk to the Honorable James L. Buckley, United States Circuit Court Judge for the District of Columbia Circuit, from 1991 to 1992. William has served as an instructor at the Foundation for Law and Science Center's Judicial Science Training on Daubert Issues.
William was previously an adjunct professor at the Fordham Law School. He has authored several articles and chapters concerning pharmaceutical criminal and regulatory issues.
- Bayer – National Counsel Xarelto Products Liability Litigation (2015-Present)
- Pfizer – National Coordinating Counsel Asbestos Litigation (2013-Present)
- Pfizer – National Counsel In re Reglan Products Liability Litigation (2011-Present)
- Novartis – National Counsel Aliskiren Products Liability Litigation (2013-2016)
- Pfizer – In re Hormone Replacement Products Liability Litigation (2004-2016)
- Pfizer – In re Rezulin Products Liability Litigation (2000-2007)
- AstraZeneca – In re Seroquel Products Liability (2007-2012)
- Wyeth – In re Diet Drugs Products Liability Litigation (1997-2004)
Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Toxic Tort—Defense (2019, 2022)
Healthcare: Life Sciences (2013–2014, 2016–2018)
"Life Sciences Star"—White-Collar/Government Investigations (2018-2022)
"Life Sciences Star"—Non-IP Litigation (2012-2016)
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1990, Order of the Coif
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, 1985
- A.B., Vassar College, 1983, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York