Matt Kirsch concentrates his practice on the acquisition, financing, ground leasing, development, and sale of real property.
Mr. Kirsch offers his clients a deep understanding of each component of the ground-up development process, including the negotiation of construction financing, joint venture arrangements, and development agreements, together with the creation of governance regimes (such as commercial condominiums and REA associations) on multi-parcel development sites.
Mr. Kirsch also counsels multifamily property owners on compliance with tenant rights regulations in the District of Columbia, including the Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA).
Mr. Kirsch’s pro bono practice focuses on the creation and preservation of affordable housing in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- National real estate developer in the acquisition of a development site and negotiation of construction loan documents for a 20-story, 423 -unit apartment tower development project in Arlington, Virginia.
- Family office in the ground lease of a development site in Naples, Florida for the construction of a five-star luxury hotel.
- Various clients posting on the CrowdStreet platform, including (i) a general-partner equity fund obtaining additional equity commitments through a blind pool offering, (ii) a regional developer raising equity for a new multi-family project, and (iii) a regional developer raising equity for a new hotel project in a mixed-use development.
- Joint venture between a regional developer and institutional capital partner in the redevelopment of a 13-acre industrial site located in northern Virginia, which, when completed, will include over 1.5 million square feet of medical office space, multi-family residential homes, self-storage facilities, and townhouses. This representation also included the drafting of condominium documents and reciprocal easement agreements, and obtaining construction financing for the project.
- Family office in the consummation of a 1031 exchange, including the acquisition of almost $250 million in replacement properties located in Raleigh, North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee, and Reston, Virginia, and the subsequent acquisition of over $215 million in additional properties located in Sarasota and Tampa, Florida (using refinancing proceeds).
- Joint venture between a regional developer and institutional capital partner with respect to the development of a 370,000squarefoot trophy office building in downtown Bethesda, Maryland.
- Joint venture between a regional developer and a public REIT with respect to the ground lease and financing of a new mixed-use project containing approximately 689 apartment units and over 100,000 square feet of retail space in Northwest DC (including the negotiation of a $174.2 million construction loan).
- Local developers in the negotiation of take-out loans (aggregating $180.1 million) for the first two phases of a one million square-foot development adjacent to Nationals Park in Washington, DC.
- Local developer in the negotiation of a 99-year ground lease and related condominium and reciprocal easement documents for a future hotel development site in northern Virginia. This representation also included securing financing on behalf of the developer for the construction of the hotel.
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, 2012, honors
- BBA, Emory University, 2009, honors
- District of Columbia
- Member, DC Real Estate Group
- Member, Urban Land Institute