Sam Lonergan has a broad practice representing major US and international corporations in a variety of complex matters, including commercial disputes, product liability, antitrust, qui tam matters, and other litigation involving fraud and abuse. He has litigated on behalf of clients in a wide range of industry sectors, including pharmaceuticals, finance, insurance, telecommunications, energy, aircraft, and retail, always with a focus on providing practical advice that balances his clients' business and financial needs with legal considerations.
Mr. Lonergan represents clients nationally in US federal and state courts, administrative proceedings, and mediations. He is experienced at developing and efficiently executing litigation strategies to achieve his clients' goals. He has successfully taken multiple matters to trial in state and federal courts, and served as a key member of the team that obtained the reversal by the Alabama Supreme Court of a $33 million jury verdict and judgment in a fraud action brought by the State of Alabama.
Mr. Lonergan has been honored for his pro bono work and has received multiple individual pro bono achievement awards. Acting as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Kings County, New York, he successfully defended an appeal from a criminal conviction and has also helped secure benefits for numerous disabled clients through civil litigation.
Mr. Lonergan attended Georgetown University Law Center, where he was a Current Developments Editor for the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal.
- The State of Israel in successfully securing dismissal of lawsuit brought under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, which was affirmed after oral argument by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Private equity firm pursuing contract-based claims against a US-based steel mill, its parent corporation and a foreign entity.
- Former officer and director of AIG in a Martin Act action by the New York State Attorney General. People of the State of New York v. American International Group, Inc., et al. (New York State Supreme Court, New York County).
- Multiple major financial institutions against fraudulent conveyance claims arising from leveraged finance transactions.
- Consolidated Edison Solutions Inc. and Consolidated Edison Development Inc. in patent infringement lawsuits pertaining to solar and wind power generation monitoring.
- Time Warner Cable in multiple patent infringement lawsuits pertaining to various telecommunication technologies.
- Aircraft parts manufacturer in a successful mediation involving competing security interests in aircraft turbine engines and the complex interplay of international treaties and the Uniform Commercial Code, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Retail chain against allegations of fraud and deceptive trade practices pertaining to its marketing practices concerning seafood.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2001
- BA, University of Maryland at College Park, 1997
- New York
- New Jersey
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit