Tom Magnani heads the firm's Technology Transactions practice and co-chairs its Technology, Media & Telecommunications industry group. He provides strategic advice to FORTUNE 100 companies, startups, investors, non-profit organizations, and industry consortia on technology, media, and intellectual property transactions of all kinds. He assists clients in the development, acquisition, and commercialization of products, services, technologies, and brands across a range of industry sectors, including enterprise and consumer software (including software-as-a-service, platform-as-a-service, and similar arrangements), digital health, fintech, IoT, wearables, semiconductors, consumer products, alternative energy, automotive, and digital entertainment. Many of his clients are engaged in the development of solutions that employ artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Tom's experience includes structuring and negotiating research and development collaborations, joint ventures, IT infrastructure projects, SaaS and PaaS agreements, data aggregation arrangements, distribution and supply agreements, merchandise licenses, and endorsement deals, among others. He also advises clients on the intellectual property and technology aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and financings. Working closely with the firm's litigation practice, he has developed substantial experience in the settlement of complex intellectual property disputes.
In addition, he counsels clients on compliance with advertising laws, including those regulating social media, endorsements, sweepstakes, and skills contests.
Tom also co-chairs Pride, the firm's LGBTQ affinity group and serves on the firm's Diversity & Inclusion Committee and Policy Committee. He recently was a guest lecturer in a class on Tech Savvy Lawyering at Harvard Law School. While in law school, he served on the editorial board of the Berkeley Technology Law Journal and earned a Berkeley Center for Law & Technology Certificate.
- Engineering Software Developer. Advising on legal compliance issues raised by rollout of consumer sweepstakes strategy in numerous countries, including structuring of official rules and managing input of local counsel in dozens of jurisdictions.
- Publisher of Trade Magazines. Advising client on compliance with sweepstakes, contests, and other advertising and promotions laws in connection with dozens of consumer and trade-oriented promotions sponsored by various digital and print publications.
- Event Organizer. Advising client on structuring of sweepstakes and skills contests for dozens of live events organized by client for technology and professional trade associations.
- Numerous Pharmaceutical Companies. Advising on compliance with sweepstakes, contests, and other federal and state promotions laws in connection with a wide variety of consumer-focused promotional activities.
"Rising Star" (2009-2015)
Technology: Transactions (CA) (2023)
Intellectual Property: Patent (2013–2014)
"IP Star" (California) (2013–2022)
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2000, Order of the Coif
- B.S., Biology and Environmental Studies, Tufts University, 1997, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, IP Section, Licensing Committee, State Bar of California
- Member, Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
- Member, Board of Directors, Frameline (Emeritus)