An experienced litigator and trial lawyer, Manvin Mayell represents pharmaceutical companies, government contractors, and financial services clients in investigations and litigations involving the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute. He also advises these clients on compliance issues concerning FCA and AKS matters. In addition, Mr. Mayell handles commercial litigations and high-stakes national arbitrations. He also has extensive experience handling major multi-district product liability cases.
Mr. Mayell is a seasoned trial lawyer, having tried numerous cases to verdict and has handled a variety of appeals; he has served as lead trial counsel in a series of arbitration hearings for Philip Morris against state governments regarding disputes under the Master Settlement Agreement. He has also represented domestic and foreign corporations in a variety of litigations, including the nationally-coordinated defense of leading pharmaceutical companies facing hundreds of product liability suits, as well as antitrust and breach of contract litigations.
Mr. Mayell brings a unique perspective, having served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, where he headed the environmental and tax and bankruptcy units of the Civil Division. During his tenure, he tried a number of cases and handled a wide range of civil litigation matters, including False Claims Act investigations and litigations, a civil RICO action against a corrupt labor union, and ERISA litigation and employment and employment civil rights cases. Mr. Mayell is a co-author of the Deskbook on Internal Investigations, Corporate Compliance and White Collar Issues (Practising Law Institute 2019), focusing on internal investigations and Corporate Compliance.
- Philip Morris in arbitration hearings against states regarding disputes under the Master Settlement Agreement.
- Major pharmaceutical companies regarding government investigations and litigations concerning marketing and contracting practices, including allegations of off-label promotion, kickbacks and false price reporting.
- Defense contractors in government investigations regarding potential False Claims Act issues.
- AstraZeneca, as a member of the co-national counsel team, in thousands of product liability lawsuits alleging that its antipsychotic medication Seroquel causes diabetes.
- Novartis Consumer Health, Inc. in the phenylpropanolamine (PPA) product liability cases, coordinating trial strategy and litigation efforts nationally. Manvin worked closely with medical experts in developing trial testimony and handled expert discovery. The trials resulted in four defense verdicts and no plaintiff verdicts.
- Large financial institution in the successful defense at trial of a breach of contract lease claim against it by the landlord, resulting in the dismissal of all claims.
- Large international pharmaceutical company in an antitrust action related to patent infringement allegations regarding a new drug product.
- Audit committee of a public company in an internal investigation of alleged accounting fraud.
- Financial institution in a breach of contract suit related to underwriting and servicing subprime loans.
- Leading brewer in a breach of contract claim regarding bottling equipment.
- JD, Northwestern University School of Law, 1986, cum laude
- BA, University of Virginia, 1982
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York
- Member, Federal Bar Council
- Member, South Asian Bar Association of New York