Sharon Mayo has 25 years of litigation and counseling experience in complex commercial litigation, primarily in the pharmaceutical, consumer products and financial services industries. Ms. Mayo has extensive experience in defending and resolving class actions, mass actions and multi-district litigation proceedings, including appeals therefrom – involving claims of products liability, unfair competition and unfair and deceptive practices (including Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code §17200), antitrust, partnership and contractual disputes, and business torts.
Ms. Mayo has a strong commitment to pro bono service, and has represented individuals and organizations in a wide array of proceedings – from facilitating adoptions of foster children, to defending the First Amendment rights of an organization that advocates for greater access to higher education, to representing Planned Parenthood in litigation against extremists who fraudulently and illegally made, manipulated, and then released videotapes in a smear campaign against the organization.
Ms. Mayo was recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer for business litigation from 2012-2015. She is also an AV-rated attorney, a peer-awarded honor given by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb and Sanofi in multiple products liability mass actions in California and New Jersey concerning Plavix®. Plavix Product and Marketing Cases, Judicial Council Coordination Proceeding 4748; In Re: Plavix Mktg., Sales Practices & Prods. Liab. Litig. (No. II), MDL No. 2418.
- Hologic, Inc. in medical device product liability claims.
- Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals, LP in class action asserting overcharges under a federal drug discount program (see County of Santa Clara v. Astra USA, et al., 2006 WL 2193343 (N.D. Cal. July 28, 2006); 2006 WL 1344572 (N.D. Cal. May 17, 2006); 428 F.Supp.2d 1029 (N.D. Cal. 2006); Astra USA, Inc. v. County of Santa Clara, 131 S. Ct. 1342 (2011) (holding that third-party beneficiaries to pharmaceutical pricing agreement with the government could not sue pharmaceutical manufacturers to enforce the contract; action dismissed)).
- Pharmaceutical company in multidistrict litigation involving tens of thousands of suits nationwide. Managed a docket of 2000+ cases.
- Leidos, Inc. in data breach class action concerning theft of computer media containing health care information.
- 23and Me, Inc. in insurance declaratory relief litigation arising from claims regarding client’s Personal Genome Service product.
- LG Electronics, Inc. in multidistrict antitrust and unfair competition class actions relating to CRT pricing, In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1917, and similar actions brought by state attorneys general.
- Major US government contractor in federal civil rights action and constitutional challenge to the government's "No-Fly List."
- ASCAP, America's oldest Performing Rights Organization in litigation to enforce the music copyrights of its composer, songwriter, and publisher members, in hundreds of cases over more than 20 years, including obtaining summary judgment for statutory damages and attorneys' fees, for infringement by public performance at defendants' establishment, affirmed on appeal (see Range Road Music, Inc. v. East Coast Foods, Inc., 668 F.3d 1148 (9th Cir. 2012), cert. denied, 133 S. Ct. 209 (2012)).
- JD, Loyola Law School Los Angeles, 1990
- BA, Claremont McKenna College, 1986, cum laude
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
California State Bar Financial Institutions Committee
Bar Association of San Francisco
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Advisory Board Member, Berger Institute for Work, Family and Children, Claremont McKenna College
LexisNexis California Advisory Board Member (Matthew Bender)
San Francisco Bank Attorneys Association