John Muse-Fisher focuses his practice on international arbitration, including commercial and investor-state disputes. Mr. Muse-Fisher also practices in business litigation, including derivative, class action, and intellectual property matters.
Mr. Muse-Fisher graduated Order of the Coif from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law with a certificate in international law. During law school, Mr. Muse-Fisher served as the Senior Executive Editor of the California Law Review, participated in the McBaine Moot Court Honors Competition, interned for the Honorable Jane A. Restani of the United States Court of International Trade, and taught intermediate macroeconomics to undergraduates.
- Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim A.S., a leading Turkish energy company, in a successful ICSID arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. In August 2017, the tribunal unanimously issued a final award in our client's favor, finding Pakistan liable under the Turkey-Pakistan bilateral investment treaty, and ordering Pakistan to pay approximately $800 million in damages (including interest), one of the largest damages awards in ICSID history.
- The Republic of the Philippines in an ICSID arbitration concerning the oil and gas sector brought by Shell Philippines Exploration B.V.
- Heavy equipment manufacturer in an arbitration initiated by a commercial partner concerning white collar crime allegations (ad hoc, London).
- The Czech Republic in several UNCITRAL and ad hoc arbitration disputes in the solar energy sector under bilateral investment treaties and the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Leading mobile device manufacturer in emergency arbitrator and main arbitration proceedings under intellectual property license agreement (ICC, Maui).
- The Republic of Korea in a multi-billion dollar investor-state dispute filed by Lone Star Funds (ICSID).
California Law Review
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2014, Order of the Coif
- MSc, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2010, with distinction
- BA, University of California, Berkeley, 2008
- Member, Board of Directors, California International Arbitration Council (CIAC)
- Member, Executive Committee, International Law Section of the San Francisco Bar Association