Ryan Nishimoto's practice focuses on complex litigation involving intellectual property and technology, with a particular emphasis on patent and copyright litigation.
Mr. Nishimoto has represented clients in protecting intellectual property in a wide range of technologies and industries, including mobile phones and tablets, wireless and cellular networking, human-computer interaction, medical devices, media and entertainment, telecommunications, e-commerce, and database management. He also provides strategic counseling on a broad range of intellectual property, contractual, and competitive issues.
- Mobile device manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims involving motion input and gesture recognition.
- Wireless networking device manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims relating to self-healing networks.
- Cellular phone and tablet manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims relating to "attentive" user interfaces.
- LED manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims relating to LED construction and methods of improved light extraction.
- Snack food and drink supplier in defending against patent infringement claims involving beverage dispensing machines.
- Software developer in defending against claims involving the copyrightability of functional aspects of computer programs, including the scope of protection for input/output commands.
- Medical device provider in bringing copyright infringement claims against competitor involving similarities in graphical user interfaces, as well as claims for patent infringement.
- Manufacturer and distributor of household cleaning products in enforcing US trademarks against international competitor seeking entry to the US market.
- Group of technology defendants in pending patent infringement actions alleging infringement of patent relating to searchable databases organized both geographically and topically.
- Telecommunications provider in defending against copyright infringement claims brought by software developer.
- Medical device manufacturer in bringing patent infringement action involving mammography technology. Obtained jury verdict of infringement.
- Music publishing company in copyright litigation regarding use of sound recordings and compositions on user generated content and social networking sites, including the extent of protection under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- Internet service provider in trade secrets misappropriation action.
- JD, Boston College Law School, 2004
- BS, Mathematics, Pepperdine University, 1997