Ryan Nishimoto is an experienced litigator with significant success representing clients in high-stakes intellectual property and technology disputes. Mr. Nishimoto regularly represents leading companies in technology-intense complex litigation relating to the enforcement and defense of patent, trade secret, copyright, and other intellectual property rights.
With a background in mathematics, Mr. Nishimoto's technical knowledge and litigation experience spans multiple high-tech industries for market-leading clients in the smartphone, software database, wireless and cellular networking, medical device, media and entertainment, telecommunications, e-commerce, and database management fields. He has litigated many cases in district courts across the US involving computer software and hardware technologies, including the design and operation of mobile phones and tablets, human-computer interaction technology, graphics and video processors, memories, and displays.
Mr. Nishimoto also provides strategic counseling on a broad range of intellectual property, contractual, and competitive issues, particularly when it comes to navigating businesses through a broad array of legal issues presented by groundbreaking, emerging technologies, such as data mining, the Internet of Things, and machine learning and other types of artificial intelligence.
- Mobile device manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims involving motion input and gesture recognition.
- Wireless networking device manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims relating to self-healing networks.
- Cellular phone and tablet manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims relating to "attentive" user interfaces.
- LED manufacturer in defending against patent infringement claims relating to LED construction and methods of improved light extraction.
- Snack food and drink supplier in defending against patent infringement claims involving beverage dispensing machines.
- Software developer in defending against claims involving the copyrightability of functional aspects of computer programs, including the scope of protection for input/output commands.
- Medical device provider in bringing copyright infringement claims against competitor involving similarities in graphical user interfaces, as well as claims for patent infringement.
- Manufacturer and distributor of household cleaning products in enforcing US trademarks against international competitor seeking entry to the US market.
- Group of technology defendants in pending patent infringement actions alleging infringement of patent relating to searchable databases organized both geographically and topically.
- Telecommunications provider in defending against copyright infringement claims brought by software developer.
- Medical device manufacturer in bringing patent infringement action involving mammography technology. Obtained jury verdict of infringement.
- Music publishing company in copyright litigation regarding use of sound recordings and compositions on user generated content and social networking sites, including the extent of protection under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- Internet service provider in trade secrets misappropriation action.
- J.D., Boston College Law School, 2004
- B.S., Mathematics, Pepperdine University, 1997