Álvaro Nistal focuses his practice on international investment law and public international law. He has represented sovereign States and commercial entities in numerous arbitrations governed by the ICSID, PCA, SCC, UNCITRAL, and ICC rules. He also has advised clients on nearly a dozen International Court of Justice proceedings, as well as on multiple other international disputes litigated before the International Criminal Court, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, a range of UN bodies, and national courts of various States. Mr. Nistal has participated in adversarial proceedings conducted in English, Spanish, and French for States and private clients from the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia.
Mr. Nistal also has advised sovereign States, international organizations, and private clients on a wide range of public international law matters, including negotiations of investment treaties, investment restructuring, enforcement of arbitral awards, exploitation of natural resources in disputed areas, sanctions, international trade law, treaty law, sovereign and diplomatic immunities, statehood, land and maritime delimitation, human rights, international humanitarian law, international criminal law, and sovereignty issues.
Mr. Nistal is a Visiting Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London and King’s College London, where he teaches International Dispute Resolution and Oceans Governance. He also has taught public international law and international investment law at King’s College London, SOAS University of London, Universidad Iberoamericana and other leading universities. Mr. Nistal is a frequent speaker at international conferences and regularly provides training to senior public officials and the legal departments of global corporations. He also has published a book chapter on sovereign immunities and investor-State awards, as well as articles on issues such as international dispute resolution, the law of the sea, the international law implications of the COVID-19 pandemic and business and human rights.
- Kaloti Metals & Logistics, LLC v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/21/29).
- Anglo American plc v. Republic of Colombia (ICSID Case No. ARB/21/31).
- Glencore International A.G. v. Republic of Colombia (ICSID Case No. ARB/21/30).
- Infinito Gold Ltd. v. Republic of Costa Rica (ICSID Case No. ARB/14/5)—Annulment Proceeding.
- Latam Hydro LLC and CH Mamacocha S.R.L. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/19/28).
- ENAGÁS S.A. (España) and ENAGÁS Internacional S.L.U. (España) v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/26).
- Odebrecht Latinvest S.à.r.l. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/20/4).
- Interocean Oil Development Company and Interocean Oil Exploration Company v. Federal Republic of Nigeria (ICSID Case No. ARB/13/20).
- Fábrica de Vidrios Los Andes, C.A. and Owens-Illinois de Venezuela, C.A. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/21)—Annulment Proceeding.
- Fábrica de Vidrios Los Andes, C.A. and Owens-Illinois de Venezuela, C.A. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/21).
- Advising OI European Group B.V. on the enforcement of an ICSID award before the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- OI European Group B.V. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/25)—Annulment Proceeding.
- OI European Group B.V. v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/25).
- PL Holdings S.A R.L. v. Republic of Poland (SCC Arbitration V 2014/163).
- SAUR International v. Argentine Republic (ICSID Case No. ARB/04/4).
International Arbitration (2021–2023)
"Next Generation Partner"—Public International Law (2020)
- LLM, Leiden University, (Advanced)
- LLB, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
- BA, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
- England and Wales
- Visiting lecturer, Oceans Governance, King’s College London (Since 2021)
- Lecturer, International Dispute Resolution LLM, Queen Mary University of London (Since 2021)
- Guest Lecturer, Alternative Dispute Resolution Course, Universidad Iberoamericana (June 2020)
- Guest Lecturer, International Dispute Resolution LLM, Queen Mary University of London (March 2020)
- Guest Lecturer, Executive Course in Public International Law, SOAS University of London (September 2019)
- Annual Training Program in Public International Law, Institute of Diplomatic Studies, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (2013–2015)
- Guest Lecturer, Geopolitics, Territory & Security MA, King's College London (January 2013, February and May 2014)