Evelina Norwinski's practice focuses on litigation, white collar defense, and compliance issues. She has conducted internal investigations for domestic and multi-national companies in industries including consumer products, pharmaceutical, government contractors, financial services, and agricultural products. Evelina also regularly counsels clients on corporate compliance programs, regulatory compliance, legislation, and ethics. Her matters include a range of criminal and civil matters in federal and state courts, and in administrative proceedings. She has particular experience assisting clients in developing and implementing strategies to address product distribution issues, including laws governing novel products such as in the cannabis industry, strategies to address counterfeit or contraband products, collaborative engagement with regulatory agencies, litigation strategies, and longer-term legislative strategies.
Evelina maintains an active pro bono practice, representing individuals in criminal matters in federal and state courts. She serves on the Firm’s Ethics Committee.
Before joining the firm, Evelina served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in Washington, D.C. where she briefed and argued more than 20 federal criminal appeals in the U.S. Courts of Appeal and lectured on criminal law issues. She also served as an adjunct professor in legal research and writing at the George Washington University School of Law. Evelina clerked for the Honorable Donald S. Russell of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented producers and marketers of tobacco products assisting in federal and state investigations of diversion of products.
- Represented global consumer electronics and telecommunications company in connection with criminal investigation being conducted by U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York and State Department in connection with tax and immigration issues.
- Represented officer of global investment bank in connection with an investigation and criminal proceedings by the Republic of Argentina related to sovereign financing, including addressing extradition, MLAT requests, Interpol notices, treaty obligations, and diplomatic engagement.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in defending nationwide litigation on sale and distribution of opioid products.
- Advised multinational companies in the technology, clothing, alcohol, and tobacco sectors on compliance program structure and compliance issues, including implementation of anti-corruption compliance programs.
- Advised pharmaceutical, dietary supplement, and cosmetic companies on legal and business issues related to emerging cannabis products.
- Advised Brazilian subsidiary of a FORTUNE 500 U.S.-headquartered company on FCPA compliance.
- Assisted multinational technology company in anti-bribery investigations in Italy and Singapore.
- Advised consumer product and pharmaceutical companies in developing and implementing multi-faceted brand protection strategies for consumer products and pharmaceutical companies, to address diverted, counterfeit, and grey market products.
- Assisted producers and marketers of tobacco products in drafting federal and state legislation and advocacy papers to address regulatory and enforcement issues related to contraband products.
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 1991
- B.A., University of Virginia, 1988
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Assistant Federal Public Defender, Office of the Federal Public Defender, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, The Honorable Donald S. Russell