Tyler Nurnberg’s practice is focused on advising clients in all aspects of corporate reorganizations, bankruptcies, out-of-court restructurings, and distressed M&A. He has broad experience representing lender groups, noteholders, debtors, hedge funds, and private equity clients. He frequently represents purchasers of distressed businesses. He counsels boards, special committees and directors on governance and fiduciary issues. He has played a leading role in complex restructurings in the retail, media, energy, oil & gas, food & beverage, manufacturing, apparel, healthcare, construction, and financial services industries, including most recently as lead counsel to Borden Dairy and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases.
Mr. Nurnberg has been recognized in Chambers USA every year since 2013, where he is described as someone who "cuts to the chase, sees the big picture and can get a lot of different parties with competing interests on the same page. He's very good at building consensus and seeing through all of the noise and dust to find the common ground."
Mr. Nurnberg manages the Chicago office and sits on the firmwide Policy Committee. He is licensed in Illinois and New York and appears regularly in cases throughout the United States, including cases involving complex cross-border issues.
- Ad hoc group of B2 and B3 lenders in Toys "R" Us Chapter 11 case (ED Va).
- Agent for term lenders in Noranda Aluminum Chapter 11 case (ED Mo).
- Agent and ad hoc group of lenders to Transtar, the largest distributor of automotive transmission parts in the US, which was restructured under Chapter 11 (SDNY).
- Ad hoc group of lenders to Autoparts, a premier manufacturer of automotive parts, in connection with the contested restructuring of its bankrupt affiliate UCI (D Del).
- Agent for lenders to NYDJ in litigation and out-of-court restructuring (NY Sup Ct).
- Secured noteholders of Bronx Parking, which operates the main parking garages serving Yankee Stadium, in connection with its restructuring (pending).
- Agent for DIP lenders to iconic Gibson Guitars in its Chapter 11 case (D Del).
- Agent to term lenders to Southcross Energy in its Chapter 11 case (SD Tex).
- Agent for DIP lenders to grocer Tops Markets in its Chapter 11 case (SDNY).
- Agent for DIP lenders to biopharma Orexigen in its Chapter 11 case (D Del).
- Secured lenders in out-of-court restructuring and fraud litigation relating to three luxury multi-family development projects in Santa Monica, CA. Loans repaid in full.
- Agent for lenders in secured party sale of 560-condo development in Washington, DC. Sale was completed through a "prepackaged" plan confirmed in 60 days (D Del).
- Agent for term lenders to Relativity Media in its Chapter 11 case (SDNY).
- Lenders in sale of two commercial buildings in Manhattan for $180 million. Contested sale was completed through a "prepackaged" plan confirmed in 75 days (D Del).
- Largest lender to Capmark, an originator and servicer of commercial real estate loans, in its Chapter 11 case, where the lender group was owed $5.5 billion (D Del).
- JD, Northwestern University, 1994
- BS, Finance, University of Illinois, 1991, with high honors
- New York
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States Bankruptcy Court, N.D. Illinois