Josephine Qu's practice focuses on securities enforcement and white collar defense, with experiences in the areas of government and internal investigations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), compliance program implementation, and matters related to the mitigation of foreign ownership, control, or influence and the national security review of foreign investments by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). Ms. Qu also advises US and foreign clients on matters related to investment in China and Chinese companies' investment overseas.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Qu was as an attorney in a leading Chinese law firm, concentrating in mergers and acquisitions, inbound and outbound investment, and regulatory compliance counseling. She advised both Chinese and international clients in a wide range of industries.
She received her LLB from Foreign Affairs College in China and LLM in securities and financial regulation from the Georgetown University Law Center. She is fluent in English and Chinese.
Foreign Legal Qualifications: People's Republic of China
- US security company responding to United States Agency for International Development's investigation of allegations made by unnamed whistleblowers.
- US accounting firm responding to Public Company Accounting Oversight Board's investigation of auditor independence issues.
- US public telecommunications company responding to informal investigation by the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- US pharmaceutical company responding to Congressional investigation related to drug safety issues.
- Internal investigation for a multinational company that was self-reported to the SEC and Department of Justice related to allegations of corruption at its Chinese subsidiary.
- Internal investigation for a multinational telecommunications company into business practices in China.
- Internal investigation for a US automotive components company into business practices in China.
- Comprehensive internal audit for a multinational pharmaceutical company on its global compliance program in twenty-four countries and regions.
- Compliance due diligence on behalf of a multinational company on the acquisition of a US heavy machine manufacturer.
- Anti-corruption due diligence on behalf of a multinational company on the acquisition of a European company's business division with operations in nine countries.
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center, 2009
- LL.B., China Foreign Affairs University, 2004
- District of Columbia
- New York