Assad Rajani concentrates his practice on IP litigation and IP counseling for a wide range of medical device, technology, and life sciences clients. Mr. Rajani has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in matters before various federal and state courts, the International Trade Commission, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), the Federal Circuit, and in private arbitration.
- Representing Heraeus in a trade secret misappropriation investigation before the US International Trade Commission against Zimmer Biomet related to Heraeus’ bone cements. In the Matter of Certain Bone Cements, Components Thereof & Products Containing the Same, No. 337-TA-1153 (USITC).
- Representing Heraeus in a trade secret misappropriation, false advertising, and tortious interference investigation before the US International Trade Commission brought by Zimmer Biomet related to the sale of Heraeus’ bone cements. In the Matter of Certain Bone Cements and Bone Cement Accessories, No. 337-TA-1175 (USITC).
- Representing Boston Scientific Corporation in enforcing its patents relating to endoscopic clipping against a direct competitor. Boston Scientific v. Cook Group Inc. (D. Delaware, S.D. Indiana, PTAB).
- Representing Hologic, Inc. in enforcing its patents relating to endometrial ablation against a direct competitor. Hologic obtained summary judgment of infringement, assignor estoppel, and no invalidity and a jury award of approximately $5 million in damages. Hologic, Inc. v. Minerva Surgical, Inc. (D. Delaware, PTAB).
- Representing Hologic Inc. in defending a patent infringement suit relating to endometrial ablation devices. Minerva Surgical, Inc. v. Hologic, Inc. (D. Delaware).
- Representing Boston Scientific Corporation in a patent infringement suit relating to Left Atrial Appendage Closure devices. Boston Scientific Corporation v. Edwards Lifesciences (D. Delaware).
- Representing Google and Motorola in a patent infringement suit involving computerized handling of contact information. Arendi S.A.R.L. v. Google Inc., Motorola Mobility LLC (D. Delaware, PTAB, Fed. Cir.).
- Representing a global biopharmaceutical company in JAMS arbitration regarding a royalty dispute involving underlying issues of infringement. Obtained complete victory following 3-day hearing.
- Representing Time Warner in a patent infringement suit involving converting, navigating, and delivering video-on-demand content. The court granted Time Warner summary judgment of invalidity under 35 U.S.C. § 101. Broadband iTV, Inc. v. Time Warner Cable, Inc. (D. Hawaii, Fed. Cir.).
- Representing Cephalon in an ANDA litigation and Inter Partes Review at the Patent Office involving formulations of bendamustine hydrochloride. Cephalon Inc. v. Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC (D. Delaware, PTAB).
- Representing SSL in a patent infringement suit involving end-to-end encryption technology. A jury trial ended with a $10 million damages award and a $5 million enhancement for willful infringement in SSL's favor, which was aﬃrmed on appeal. SSL v. Citrix. (E.D. Texas, Fed. Cir.).
- Representing AAT Bioquest in enforcing its patents relating to a calcium ion indicator against a direct competitor. AAT Bioquest prevailed on summary judgment of no invalidity and no inequitable conduct. The parties proceeded to trial on damages. AAT Bioquest v. TEFLabs Inc. (N.D. California).
- Representing Elan Pharmaceuticals in a patent infringement suit involving Alzheimer’s disease assays and transgenic mice. Elan obtained an early dismissal with prejudice. Elan Pharmaceuticals v. Alzheimer's Institute of America (N.D. California).
- Representing Callidus in a patent infringement suit involving enterprise incentive compensation software and cross asserting Callidus' patents. Successfully instituted CBM Review challenging the validity of all of Versata's asserted business method patents and reversed the district court's denial of a stay pending CBM Review. Callidus Software Inc. v. Versata (D. Delaware, Fed. Cir.).
- Representing Amgen in a enforcing its patents related to granulocyte colony stimulating factor. The case settled on terms favorable to Amgen. Amgen Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (E.D. Pennsylvania)
- Representing Amgen in enforcing its US erythropoietin patents against Roche. The jury rendered a verdict in Amgen's favor on both infringement and validity for each of the asserted patents-in-suit and the Court entered final judgment and a permanent injunction in Amgen's favor. Amgen Inc. v. F. Hoffman La-Roche Ltd. (D. Massachusetts, Fed. Cir.).
- Representing Callidus in enforcing its patents and asserting business tort and breach of contract claims. The case settled in mediation on terms favorable to Callidus. Callidus Software v. Xactly Corp. (C.D. California).
- Representing Symantec in a trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract suit involving storage management software. Symantec v. StorageCraft. (D. Utah).
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2007
- BA, Syracuse University, 2004, with honors (quadruple major)
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- Board of Directors, The Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County