Carmela T. Romeo's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, as well as internal and governmental investigations. Ms. Romeo represents clients in complex commercial disputes and bankruptcy matters in federal and state court, AAA arbitrations, and federal and state appeals. She also counsels individuals and corporations in all aspects of white-collar defense, including managing internal investigations and defending against civil and criminal enforcement actions involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and allegations of financial fraud and money laundering, violations of the securities laws, and accounting fraud. She routinely advises clients on anti-corruption and supply chain compliance issues. Ms. Romeo also maintains an active pro bono practice focusing on immigration and criminal justice matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Romeo served as a law clerk for the Honorable Henry B. Pitman, United States Magistrate Judge for the Southern District of New York.
Ms. Romeo earned her JD from Brooklyn Law School, summa cum laude, where she was awarded the Professor Philip K. Yonge Memorial Prize for Exceptional Achievement in Bankruptcy & Commercial Law, served as a Notes and Comments Editor for the Brooklyn Law Review, and served as a member of the Trial Advocacy Division of the Moot Court Honor Society. While in law school, Ms. Romeo also worked in the Criminal Division of the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York; in the Enforcement Division of the Securities & Exchange Commission's New York Regional Office; for the Honorable Martin Glenn in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York; and for the Honorable Michael H. Dolinger, United States Magistrate Judge for the Southern District of New York.
- Representing major pharmaceutical company in AAA arbitration involving breach of contract by biotechnology investment firm as to the conduct of certain clinical trials.
- Conducting enterprise-wide compliance risk assessment for major retailer and advising on enhancements to its compliance program.
- Represented Executive Team member/Global President of global healthcare company in connection with SEC and DOJ investigation involving FCPA and revenue recognition matters. Obtained successful outcome for client.
- Successfully represented major technology company in inquiry conducted by the New York State Attorney General involving claims of deceptive business practices with regard to mobile health application.
- Member of defense trial team in civil trial involving claims for misappropriation of an idea, unfair competition, and breach of a mutual non-disclosure agreement before the Eastern District of New York on behalf of major software company. Obtained a successful damages verdict.
- Member of trial team in successful six-week civil trial under the Anti-Terrorism Act before the Southern District of New York on behalf of several American families.
- Represented major retailer in connection with embezzlement of millions of dollars in merchandise by former executive. Coordinated with law enforcement in investigation and prosecution, leading to arrest of former employee, followed by guilty plea and agreement to pay restitution to client.
- Advised CEO in investigation by the United States Attorney's Office of the Southern District of New York concerning the CEO's use of SEC Rule 10b-5 trading plans. Coordinated with law enforcement, leading to the issuance of an investigation completion letter by the SEC recommending no enforcement action.
- Represented federal agency in litigation of claim objection based on novel federal statute in Lehman Bankruptcy, leading to a successful settlement.
- Member of trial team in case before the Southern District of New York between an insurance company and a Michigan bank concerning the bank's approval of home equity loans behind approximately $1 billion in mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented beneficial owner of $10 million in notes in contract case against the issuer and the trustee of the notes to compel payment of principal and past-due interest.
- Advised satellite manufacturer in connection with its obligations under certain government contracts, as well as potential restructuring of those obligations.
- Represented company in tortious interference, fraud, and unjust enrichment case pertaining to acquisition of shares that would have given the company a controlling stake in an international sporting organization.
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, 2011, summa cum laude
- BA, Boston University, 2007, magna cum laude
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Henry Pitman
- Member, Entertainment Committee, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York American Inn of Court