Trevor Schmitt's practice focuses on national security law, complex internal investigations, and government contracts with a particular focus on export controls, ITAR compliance, and bid protests. Mr. Schmitt has experience representing clients in government procurements, export control and sanctions matters, and criminal and civil investigations.
Mr. Schmitt graduated, magna cum laude, from the Georgetown University Law Center, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif. While in law school, he interned for the Honorable Jimmie V. Reyna of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and served as an Executive Senior Editor for the Georgetown Journal of International Law as well as a Managing Editor for the Georgetown Law Technology Review. Mr. Schmitt received his undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from the University of New Mexico.
- Major international aerospace company in connection with disclosures and settlement with the US Department of State and the implementation of a Consent Agreement, as part of the company's agreement with the US Department of Justice, US Department of State, the French Parquet National Financier, and the UK Serious Fraud Office to resolve the authorities' investigations into allegations of bribery, corruption, and ITAR violations.
- Freight service company, in advising on an ITAR investigation through a secondment arrangement.
- Thermal imaging company, in advising on de minimis export control investigation and regulatory disclosure.
- Multinational technology company, in conducting an enterprise-wide export controls compliance risk assessment.
- International aerospace and defense company, in regularly advising on export control compliance and investigations.
- GardaWorld Federal Services in the successful defense of a bid protest brought by SOC LLC involving an award of a $58M Department of State contract to provide security services at the US Embassy in Bangui, Central African Republic. SOC LLC, B-418487.2, .3, Feb. 4, 2021, 2021 CPD ¶ ___.
- Several government contractors in bid protest matters, including representation in proceedings at the US Government Accountability Office and the US Small Business Administration's Office of Hearings and Appeals.
- Government contractor, in responding to congressional Inquiries in connection with news media reports of criminal conduct allegations under 18 U.S.C. § 207.
- Major defense contractor, in developing a reference guide on the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency adverse information reporting best practices under the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual.
- Defense contractors on compliance with the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2019, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Communication, University of New Mexico, 2012, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Vice Chair, Export Controls & Economic Sanctions Committee, International Law Section, American Bar Association
- Steering Committee Member, Export Controls & Economic Sanctions Committee, International Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Society for International Affairs