Sean SeLegue has developed two distinct areas of focus over nearly 25 years of law practice.
Appeals. Mr. SeLegue brings rigorous analysis, lively writing and creativity to his appellate practice. He emphasizes teamwork with trial counsel while ensuring the client gets objective advice based on a fresh assessment of the matter. He is a certified appellate specialist, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, and a member of the California Academy of Appellate Lawyers. Mr. SeLegue began his career in appellate law in 1991 with a clerkship for Judge Cynthia Holcomb Hall of the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Since then, he has handled appeals in many areas, including real estate, partnership disputes, securities law, contract law and high-asset family law cases.
Attorney Liability And Ethics. A former Chair of the State Bar of California Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct, Mr. SeLegue has advised and represented lawyers and law firms for twenty years. He has extensive experience in defending malpractice and malicious prosecution actions and attorney discipline defense. He has overseen internal investigations for law firms and has advised firms and appeared on their behalves, in investigations and inquiries by federal judges. Mr. SeLegue also has served as an expert witness.
- Obtained reversal of disqualification ruling in significant case for national law firm. California Self-Insurers' Fund v. Superior Court, 19 Cal. App. 5th 1065 (2018).
- Real estate: Secured reversal of ruling that a commercial real estate seller's duty to disclose and related warranty "merged" – i.e., disappeared – when deed was recorded. Ram's Gate Winery, LLC v. Roche, 235 Cal. App. 4th 1071 (2015).
- Retail leasing: Obtained 82% reduction in judgment in a prominent dispute regarding co-tenancy clauses. Grand Prospect Partners, L.P. v. Ross Dress for Less, Inc., 232 Cal. App. 4th 1332 (2015).
- Jurisdiction: California Supreme Court matter regarding personal jurisdiction over claims brought by out-of-state plaintiffs in mass tort action. Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. v. Superior Court, 1 Cal. 5th 783 (2016), cert. granted (2017).
- Earn-out dispute: obtained affirmance of order confirming arbitration award in multi-million dollar earn-out dispute related to sale of pharmaceutical business (2014).
- Attorney-client dispute: Persuaded the California Supreme Court to grant review and disapprove longstanding Court of Appeal precedent limiting the enforceability of contractual arbitration clauses between law firms and their clients. Schatz v. Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis, LLP, 45 Cal. 4th 557 (2007).
- Business dispute: Represented Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss at the Ninth Circuit concerning their dispute with Facebook and its founder, Mark Zuckerberg. The Facebook, Inc. v. ConnectU, Inc., 640 F.3d 1034 (9th Cir. 2011).
- Family law: Appeals related to marital property and spousal support for clients that have included baseball player Barry Bonds and the principal owner of a supermarket chain.
- Mergers and acquisitions: Obtained affirmance of summary judgment in the Ninth Circuit of a US$15 million claim against a hedge fund arising from a failed merger transaction (2008).
- Insurance coverage: Obtained affirmance of summary judgment in favor of insurer in coverage dispute. Evanston Ins. Co. v. OEA, Inc., 566 F.3d 915 (9th Cir. 2009).
- Professional liability: Obtained partial reversal of order denying a law firm's motion to dismiss under the anti-SLAPP statute in a case accusing a national law firm of complicity in a Ponzi scheme. Peregrine Funding, Inc. v. Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton, LLP, 133 Cal. App. 4th 658 (2005).
Santa Fe Salon
"San Francisco Lawyer of the Year" – Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law (2012, 2016, 2019)
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 1991, Order of the Coif
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, 1988, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, with departmental highest honors
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, The Honorable Cynthia H. Hall
- Member, California Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- Member, State Bar of California Board of Trustees, 2016-present
- State Bar of California Commission for the Revision of the Rules of Professional Conduct, 2005-2007
- State Bar of California Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct (Member, 1998 to 2002; Vice-Chair, 2002-2003; Chair, 2003-2004; Special Advisor, 2004-2005)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (Member, Executive Committee, Litigation Section, 2009-2012; Co-Chair, Legal Malpractice Section, 2011-2014)
- American Bar Association (Member, Advisory Council to the "Ethics 2000" Commission; Vice Chair, Ethics Committee, Intellectual Property Section, 2012-2016)
- Board of Directors, Boalt Hall Alumni Association (Berkeley Law), 2012-present