Samantha Shulman represents clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters. Her practice includes assisting clients with government review of mergers and acquisitions, filing obligations under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, civil and criminal investigations, counseling clients in relation to antitrust issues, and complex civil antitrust litigation. Ms. Shulman has represented clients in a variety of industries including entertainment, agriculture, oil and gas, mining, retail, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, and consumer products.
- HarperCollins Publishers, LLC in its $349 million acquisition of Books & Media segment of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Reyes Holdings, LLC in obtaining FTC clearance for the $2 billion sale of its Reinhart Foodservice business to Performance Food Group.
- Generic pharmaceuticals manufacturer in defense of wholesaler (direct purchaser) and third party payor (indirect purchaser) class, opt-out direct and indirect purchaser actions, and State enforcement and damages actions, in a consolidated federal multi-district litigation and related state court actions, in which plaintiffs allege that the company conspired with several other generic drug makers to increase prices of a number of different generic products.
- BP in the formation of a joint venture with Arclight Capital Partners to acquire Thorntons, a leading privately owned gasoline and convenience store chain with locations in the Midwest and Florida.
- Monsanto Company in connection with its $66 billion acquisition by Bayer, which closed after a 20-month DOJ investigation leading to what the DOJ characterized as "the largest negotiated merger divestiture ever required by the United States." The transaction was reviewed and approved by antitrust enforcers in the US, the EU, and almost 30 other jurisdictions.
- Major pharmaceutical company in multidistrict litigation brought by putative classes of purchasers and states attorneys general alleging price-fixing of generic drugs.
- AMC Entertainment Inc. in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Carmike Cinemas, creating the largest movie exhibitor in the US and the world.
- The Kroger Co.in its acquisition of certain Farm Fresh stores from SUPERVALU.
- The Kroger Co. in its acquisition of assets from Marsh Supermarkets pursuant to a bankruptcy court approved sale.
- The Kroger Co. in its $800 million merger with Roundy's Supermarkets, which was permitted to close without any divestitures.
- The Kroger Co. in its $2.5 billion sale of its convenience store unit to EG Group, a privately held convenience store retailer.
- BP in its $155 million acquisition of the upstream portion of Clean Energy's renewable natural gas business.
- Komatsu Ltd. in its $2.9 billion acquisition of high-productivity mining equipment company, Joy Global.
- Monsanto Company in connection with the proposed sale of Precision Planting to Deere & Company.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2015
- BA, The University of Maine, 2010, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia