Based in Sacramento, Yuvaraj Sivalingam leverages a decade of experience in politics, advocacy, and public service, including positions in the Federal and California State governments, to guide clients through the legislative and policymaking process and achieve client objectives. Mr. Sivalingam also utilizes his substantive knowledge and policymaking experience to advise clients on an array of matters including energy and environment, trade, and defense.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Sivalingam was appointed by Governor Newsom to be deputy supervisor for Policy and Administration for the California Geologic Energy Management Division of the California Department of Conservation. In this role, he coordinated more than 300 staff regulating California’s oil, gas, and geothermal industries and advanced key initiatives related to public health, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and addressing orphan wells.
Previously, Mr. Sivalingam was national security advisor to US Representative Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr. and served in the Obama Administration in multiple roles at the US Departments of Defense, Commerce, and the Treasury. At the Department of Defense, Mr. Sivalingam served as chief of staff in the Office of Stability and Humanitarian Affairs and later as special assistant to the Acting Under Secretary of Defense for Policy. At the Department of Commerce, Mr. Sivalingam was special assistant to the Secretary of Commerce.
Mr. Sivalingam has also advised and advocated on behalf of key California business associations on matters related to environmental policy and public lands as well as clean and advanced energy initiatives as a Strategic Consultant with the Better World Group.
Mr. Sivalingam received an MSc in International Relations from the London School of Economics and Political Science and a BA in Political Science from the Johns Hopkins University.
- MSc, International Relations, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2011
- BA, Political Science, Johns Hopkins University, 2010
- *Not admitted to the practice of law
- Deputy Supervisor for Policy and Administration, California Geologic Energy Management, Department of Conservation (2020–2022)
- National Security Advisor, US Representative Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr. (2019–2020)
- Special Assistant to the Acting Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, US Department of Defense (2016–2017)
- Chief of Staff, Office of Stability and Humanitarian Affairs, US Department of Defense (2015–2016)
- Special Assistant to the Secretary, US Department of Commerce (2014–2015)