Timothy Smyth advises sovereign states, multinational companies, and individuals in relation to international arbitration and public international law disputes. Mr. Smyth has represented clients in numerous fora, including ICSID, the LCIA, ICC, DIFC-LCIA, ad hoc arbitrations, the High Court, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the ICJ, the General Court of the EU, and the Iran-US claims Tribunal. He has advised clients in a variety of different sectors, including energy, telecoms, and pharmaceuticals. Mr. Smyth also has experience of advocacy in the High Court of Justice in London. Prior to working for the firm, he worked in the London and Paris offices of another international law firm.
- The Kingdom of Thailand in an investor-state arbitration involving the mining sector brought by an Australian mining company (UNCITRAL).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in an investor-state arbitration concerning the banking sector brought by a middle eastern sovereign wealth fund (ICSID).
- Middle Eastern State in relation to several politically significant multi-billion dollar treaty arbitration claims in respect of high value military equipment.
- Costa Rica in an investor-state arbitration relating to gold mining rights.
- Consortium of major energy companies in defending claims in an ad hoc arbitration in relation to a natural gas pipeline.
- British global aviation services company in relation to claims in an ICC arbitration brought by a Canadian aviation company under a share purchase agreement.
- Hong Kong based clothing manufacturer in relation to a contractual dispute with Spanish, UAE and Saudi Arabian retail companies before the DIFC-LCIA.
- Irish pharmaceuticals company in claims before the ICC in relation to the purchase of a large clinical services company.
- Middle Eastern State in relation to enforcement proceedings worth over US$500 million, involving complex jurisdictional and State immunity issues.
- Legal Practice Course, BPP University, London, 2011, with distinction
- Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP University, London, 2010, with distinction
- BA, Durham University, 2008
- England and Wales