Timothy Smyth advises sovereign States, multinational corporations, and high-net worth individuals in relation to international arbitration and public international law disputes. His experience includes representing clients in arbitrations under a wide range of arbitral rules, including ICSID, UNCITRAL, the LCIA, ICC, DIFC-LCIA and before the Iran-US Claims Tribunal. He also has experience of cases before the International Court of Justice, General Court of the EU and the High Court of Justice in London. He has advised clients from all over the world in a variety of different sectors, including energy, mining, banking, hospitality, telecoms, aviation and pharmaceuticals. Timothy has conducted oral advocacy in investment treaty arbitrations, commercial arbitrations and before the High Court of Justice in London. The Legal 500 UK (2021) has recognised Mr. Smyth as a "Rising Star" in the field of Public International Law.
- The Republic of Turkey in an investor-state arbitration brought by Akfel Commodities Pte. Ltd. and I-Systems Global B.V. (ICSID).
- The Republic of Peru in an investor-State arbitration in the precious metals sector brought by a US commodities trading company (ICSID).
- The Republic of Peru in an investor-State arbitration in the mining sector brought by a Canadian mining company (ICSID).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in an Energy Charter Treaty arbitration in the electricity sector (ICSID).
- The Kingdom of Thailand in an investor-state arbitration involving the mining sector brought by an Australian mining company (UNCITRAL).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in the successful defence of investment treaty claims brought by a middle eastern sovereign wealth fund in relation to its investment in a major bank (ICSID).
- The Republic of Costa Rica in the successful defence of an investor-State arbitration relating to gold mining rights (ICSID).
- Middle Eastern State in an investor-State arbitration relating to a telecoms license (UNCITRAL).
Public International Law (2003)
International Arbitration (2023)
- Legal Practice Course, BPP University, London, 2011, with distinction
- Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP University, London, 2010, with distinction
- B.A., Durham University, 2008
- England and Wales
- Honorary Member of the Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law, Durham University