Craig Stewart is a litigator whose practice encompasses white collar defense, corporate internal investigations and complex commercial litigation. In addition, he has extensive experience handling criminal appeals. Mr. Stewart has represented corporations and individuals in conjunction with investigations and prosecutions initiated by federal and state prosecutors and regulators. Accordingly, Mr. Stewart has counseled corporations on issues related to corporate compliance and on trafficking in counterfeit goods.
Prior to joining Arnold & Porter in November 1998, Mr. Stewart spent 11 years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York where he served in both the Civil and Criminal Divisions. At the US Attorney’s Office, Mr. Stewart tried both civil and criminal cases and argued numerous appeals. As a member of the Criminal Division, Mr. Stewart also conducted and supervised all manner of investigations. Mr. Stewart held a number of supervisory positions within the Criminal Division, including Chief Appellate Attorney, Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division and Chief of the Narcotics Unit. As Chief Appellate Attorney, Mr. Stewart helped to set the legal positions taken by the US Attorney’s Office and supervised the drafting and editing of briefs filed by that Office in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Following his graduation from law school, Mr. Stewart worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Constance Baker Motley, then the Chief United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1983
- MA, Yale University, 1980
- BA, Yale University, 1980
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Assistant US Attorney, Southern District of New York
- Chief Appellate Attorney, US Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division, US Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- Chief of the Narcotics Unit, US Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Constance Baker Motley
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, Federal Bar Council