Craig Stewart's practice focuses on representing companies and individuals in connection with investigations by federal and state prosecutors, as well as on representing parties in civil and appellate litigation. He returns to the firm after having served as Chief Counsel to the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, the third highest-ranking position in that office. In that capacity, he advised the U.S. Attorney, the Deputy U.S. Attorney, and other members of the Executive Staff concerning the most significant legal matters pending in the U.S. Attorney's Office. He also assisted in oversight of the operations of the Office.
Craig worked at Arnold & Porter from 1998 until his departure to the U.S. Attorney's Office in 2019. During that time, his practice involved white collar defense, corporate internal investigations, complex commercial litigation, and criminal appeals. Craig served for a time as head of the firm's New York Office.
Prior to joining the firm in 1998, Craig spent 11 years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York, where he served in both the Civil and Criminal Divisions. During that time, he tried both civil and criminal cases and argued numerous appeals. As a member of the Criminal Division, Craig also conducted and supervised many investigations. He held a number of supervisory positions within the Criminal Division, including Chief Appellate Attorney, Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division, and Chief of the Narcotics Unit. As Chief Appellate Attorney, Craig helped to set the legal positions taken by the U.S. Attorney's Office and supervised the drafting and editing of briefs filed by that Office in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Financial Services Litigation (2021)
General Commercial Disputes (2021)
White Collar Criminal Defense; Antitrust: Mergers, Acquisitions, and Buyouts (2013)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1983
- M.A., Yale University, 1980
- B.A., Yale University, 1980
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Government & Military Service
- Chief Counsel, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of New York
- Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- Chief of the Narcotics Unit, U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Constance Baker Motley
Member, New York City Bar Association
Member, Federal Bar Council