Claudia M. Taveras Alam's practice focuses on international arbitration and international corporate and commercial law.
In the field of international arbitration, Ms. Taveras Alam regularly represents sovereign states in international investment arbitrations, predominantly in ICSID disputes. She currently represents Chile in an ICSID dispute related to public concessions contract, the Dominican Republic in an UNCITRAL arbitration regarding a real estate development and the Kingdom of Thailand in an UNCITRAL arbitration related to mining concessions. Ms. Taveras Alam also acted for the applicant in Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim AS v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan, an ICSID dispute that relates to the detention of energy generating vessels by Pakistan and represented the Republic of Chile in the re-submission phase of the Víctor Pey Casado and Fundación Presidente Allende v. Chile case, also under ICSID rules and the Dominican Republic in an arbitration under ICSID's additional facilities Rules. She also has experience in international commercial arbitrations under ICC rules.
In addition to her international arbitration work Ms. Taveras Alam advises and represents Latin American clients or clients with investments in Latin America on regulatory issues related to FCPA compliance and US sanctions and before the relevant government agencies.
In the corporate and commercial fields, Ms. Taveras Alam has represented both sovereign and corporate clients in matters relating to commercial contracts, financings and securities.
She has participated in highly complex business deals in the Dominican Republic, acting as local counsel for the senior lenders in a multi-sourced bank and export credit agency loan to finance the operation of a mining project, a $1.2 billion deal. She provided ongoing advice to the largest food provider conglomerate in Dominican Republic whom she represented in several acquisitions and she also advised Dominican clients on corporate reorganizations.
Before joining the firm, Ms. Taveras Alam was a senior associate at one of the top law firms in the Dominican Republic, where she practiced law for more than 9 years. She is fluent in Spanish and has working knowledge of French.
- Kingsgate Consolidated Limited and Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd v. The Kingdom of Thailand (UNCITRAL PCA arbitration). Gold mining sector. Counsel to Respondent.
- Carlos Ríos and Francisco Ríos v. Republic of Chile (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/16). Transportation sector. Counsel to Respondent.
- Corona Materials LLC v. Dominican Republic (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/14/3). Mining project and the environment. Counsel to Respondent.
- Michael Ballantine et al v. Dominican Republic (ad hoc UNCITRAL arbitration). Real estate projects and the environment. Counsel to Respondent.
- Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim A.S. v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case No. ARB/13/1). Power generation ships. Counsel to Claimant.
- Victor Pey Casado and Fundación Presidente Allende v. Republic of Chile (ICSID arbitration). Counsel to Respondent in the resubmission proceeding.
- Concesionaria Dominicana De Autopistas y Carreteras, S.A. v. República Dominicana. Case No. 15689/JRF. Highway concession. Counsel to Respondent.
- Major Dominican Rum producer as defense counsel in ICC Arbitration.
- LLM, New York University School of Law, 2008
- Advanced Certificate in Law and Business, NYU Pollack Center for Law and Business, 2008
- JD Equivalent, Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra, 2005, magna cum laude
- New York
- Dominican Republic
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, National Hispanic Bar Association