Claudia M. Taveras specializes in international arbitration and international corporate and commercial law.
In the field of international arbitration, Ms. Taveras regularly represents sovereign states in international investment arbitrations under the main rules, institutions and arbitration treaties, including ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC, and DR-CAFTA. She also has experience representing investors in international investment arbitrations and international commercial arbitrations.
In addition to her international arbitration work, Ms. Taveras advises and represents Latin American clients or clients with investments in Latin America on regulatory issues related to FCPA compliance and US sanctions.
In the corporate and commercial fields, she has represented both sovereign and corporate clients in matters relating to commercial contracts, financings, and securities.
Before joining Arnold & Porter, she was a senior associate at one of the most prominent law firms in the Dominican Republic, where she practiced for more than 9 years. In that position, she participated in highly complex business deals in the Dominican Republic. She acted as local counsel for the senior lenders in a multi-sourced bank and export credit agency loan to finance the operation of a mining project, a $1.2 billion deal. She advised the largest food provider conglomerate in the Dominican Republic and represented it in several acquisitions. She also advised Dominican clients on corporate reorganizations.
She is fluent in English and Spanish, and has working knowledge of French.
- Enagás S.A. and Enagás Internacional S.L.U v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/26).
- Akfel Commodities Pte. Ltd. and I-Systems Global B.V. v. Republic of Turkey (ICSID Case No. ARB/20/36).
- Odebrecht Latinvest S.à.r.l. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/20/4).
- Latam Hydro LLC and Mamacocha S.R.L. v. the Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/19/28).
- Panamericana Television S.A. et al v. Republic of Peru (PCA Case No. 2019-26).
- Hydrika 1 S.A.C. and others v. the Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/48).
- Kingsgate Consolidated Limited and Kingsgate Capital Pty Ltd v. Kingdom of Thailand (UNCITRAL Arbitration Case PCA No. 2017-36).
- Carlos Ríos and Francisco Ríos v. Republic of Chile (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/16).
- Michael Ballantine et al v. Dominican Republic (UNCITRAL arbitration ad hoc Case PCA No. 2016-17).
- Corona Materials LLC v. Dominican Republic (ICSID Case No. ARB(AF)/14/3).
- Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim A.S. v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case No. ARB/13/1).
- Victor Pey Casado and Fundación Presidente Allende v. Republic of Chile (ISCID Case No. ARB/98/2 - Resubmission phase).
- LSF-KEB Holdings SCA and others v. Republic of Korea (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/37).
- Concesionaria Dominicana de Autopistas and Carreteras, S.A. v. Dominican Republic. ICC Case No. 15689/JRF/CA.
- Leading producer of Dominican rum. ICC arbitration.
- LL.M., New York University School of Law, 2008
- Advanced Certificate in Law and Business, NYU Pollack Center for Law and Business, 2008
- J.D. Equivalent, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, 2005, magna cum laude
- New York
- Dominican Republic
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, National Hispanic Bar Association