Ewan Townsend's practice focusses on the commercial transactions involved in the development, exploitation and commercialization of medicinal products, representing many of the world's most sophisticated biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. His experience includes structuring, drafting and negotiating licence and collaboration agreements, manufacturing, distribution and supply agreements, material transfer agreements, clinical trial agreements, services agreements, co-promotion/co-development alliances, pharmacovigilance and quality agreements.
Ewan also advises on the regulatory issues that frequently arise in the context of those transactions and throughout the medicinal product life cycle, particularly in relation to marketing authorisations, manufacturing, distribution, advertising, pricing and reimbursement. He is also a member of the firm's cannabis team and advises companies on the licensing regime, import, manufacture, distribution and promotion of cannabis-based medicinal products.
In addition to his work in private practice, Ewan has spent time in-house with GlaxoSmithKline and Gilead in London, and Novartis in Sydney.
Ewan has a degree in natural sciences from Cambridge University, and studied law at a post-graduate level.
- AstraZeneca in agreements for the funding and global distribution of the University of Oxford's potential COVID-19 vaccine as well as the establishment of its global manufacturing and supply chain for the vaccine.
- AstraZeneca in the negotiation of an exclusive research collaboration and licensing agreement to co-develop five engineered oncolytic vaccinia virus candidates with Transgene, a French biotech company.
- Santen Pharmaceutical Co. in the negotiation of a collaboration agreement to research and develop gene therapy products for the treatment of an inherited retinal disease.
- Novartis on its licensing and supply agreement with Spark Therapeutics for development, registration and commercialization rights outside the US, for one-time gene therapy known as Luxturna.
- Global pharmaceutical company in negotiating a variety of inter-related agreements with its suppliers and contract manufacturers relating to the development, contract manufacture and supply of an injectable diabetes product.
- Global pharmaceutical company in negotiating a product transfer and subsequent supply agreements relating to a range of medicated pastilles and nutritional products.
- Global pharmaceutical company on rebate agreements relating to the supply of its product to health bodies across the UK.
- Global pharmaceutical company in drafting and implementing a suite of clinical trial agreements for use in its worldwide clinical trials programme.
Intellectual Property (2018-2019)
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Bristol University, 2008
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2005
- Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP Law School, 2004
- BA (Hons), Natural Sciences, Cambridge University, 2003
- England and Wales