Rhonda R. Trotter is a trial lawyer who represents businesses around the country in a variety of commercial disputes, including complex commercial, intellectual property, entertainment, products liability, employment, business torts, breach of contract, and false advertising.
Ms. Trotter has tried several cases to verdict as "first chair," including a federal court jury trial in which she obtained on behalf of the owner of the freecreditreport.com trademark a seven-figure cybersquatting verdict, and a defense verdict on counterclaims for fraud on the PTO and antitrust violations.
Ms. Trotter received her JD from the University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall), where she was Senior Articles Editor of the California Law Review, winner of the McBaine Moot Court Honors Program, and recipient of the Stephen Finney Jamison Award for outstanding scholarship and advocacy. She received her BA in Political Science from Stanford University.
- Philip Morris USA, as co-trial counsel, in two Engle progeny tobacco cases tried to state court juries in Palm Beach and Broward Counties, Florida.
- City of Los Angeles, as co-trial counsel, in multi-billion dollar dispute with the City of Ontario concerning operation and ownership of the Ontario International Airport. City of Ontario v. City of Los Angeles, et al. (Riverside Superior Court).
- Experian subsidiary, as lead trial counsel, in a five-week trial on behalf of for cybersquatting and trademark infringement of FreeCreditReport.com® trademark. Obtained seven-figure jury verdict and complete defense verdict on counterclaims for cancellation based on alleged genericism, fraud on the Patent and Trademark Office, and antitrust violations. ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. v. Chang, et al. (C.D. Cal.).
- Allegiance Telecom Liquidating Trust, as lead trial counsel, in obtaining favorable $50+ million verdict against Carl Icahn's XO Communications, Inc. in a bench trial in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. The dispute arose out of a $600 million telecommunications asset purchase. In re Allegiance Telecom (S.D.N.Y.).
- Major hotel chain, as co-trial counsel, in obtaining favorable settlement during jury trial against sexual harassment and discrimination claims in San Diego Superior Court. Wright v. Wyndham Hotels, Inc. (San Diego Superior Court).
- Experian subsidiary, as lead trial counsel, in obtaining stipulated injunction and favorable settlement on first day of trial in trade dress and trademark infringement case. ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. v. Mighty Net, Inc. (C.D. Cal.).
"IP Star" – Trademark, Copyright & False Advertising (2013-2019)
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
- BA, Political Science, Stanford University
- Member, National Board of Directors, A Better Chance, Inc.
- Former Board Member, Western Center on Law and Poverty
- Former Board Member, Los Angeles County Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Hotchkiss School (Lakeville, CT)