Asim Varma is actively involved in the firm's representation of the Federal Housing Finance Agency in complex litigation in multiple federal and state courts. Her Antitrust practice focuses on civil litigation and government investigations raising significant antitrust and intellectual property issues affecting clients in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and high technology industries.
- Roche Molecular Systems in direct purchaser class action alleging sham litigation and Walker Process fraud in enforcement of patent covering the enzyme Taq.
- Roche Molecular Systems Inc. and Hoffmann-LaRoche Inc. in obtaining dismissal with prejudice a qui tam case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. U.S.ex rel. Promega v. Hoffmann-LaRoche Inc., et al.
- Roche Molecular Systems Inc. in defending against numerous antitrust counterclaims in patent infringement litigation brought in the District of Connecticut including unlawful tying, price fixing, patent misuse, package licensing, sham litigation, Walker Process fraud and monopolization. Applera Corp. and Roche Molecular Systems Inc. v. MJ Research Inc.
- Wyeth (f/k/a American Home Products) in successfully obtaining summary judgment in class actions challenging managed care rebate contracts as unlawful exclusive dealing and monopolization. J.B.D.L. Corp. v. Wyeth-Ayerst Labs. Inc. (S.D.Ohio 2005), affirmed on appeal by Sixth Circuit.
- Philip Morris USA in successfully obtaining summary judgment in this exclusive dealing case challenging a retail distribution and incentive program involving promotional payments in exchange for near exclusive shelf space allocations. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. v. Philip Morris Inc., 199 F. Supp. 2d 362 (M.D.N.C. 2002), aff'd per curiam, 67 Fed. Appx. 810 (4th Cir. 2003).
- Xerox Corporation in precedent-setting litigation concerning the right of patent and copyright owners to refuse to license to competitors. In re Independent Service Organizations Antitrust Litigation, 203 F.3d 1322 (Fed. Cir. 2001).
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1988
- B.S., Applied Mathematics, University of Michigan, 1985
- District of Columbia