Asim Varma is actively involved in the firm's representation of the Federal Housing Finance Agency in complex litigation in multiple federal and state courts. Her antitrust practice focuses on civil litigation and government investigations raising significant antitrust and intellectual property issues affecting clients in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and high technology industries.
- Roche Molecular Systems in direct purchaser class action alleging sham litigation and Walker Process fraud in enforcement of patent covering the enzyme Taq.
- Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. and Hoffmann-LaRoche, Inc. in obtaining dismissal with prejudice a qui tam case in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. U.S.ex rel. Promega v. Hoffmann-LaRoche, Inc., et al.
- Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. in defending against numerous antitrust counterclaims in patent infringement litigation brought in the District of Connecticut including unlawful tying, price fixing, patent misuse, package licensing, sham litigation, Walker Process fraud and monopolization. Applera Corp. and Roche Molecular Systems, Inc. v. MJ Research, Inc.
- Wyeth (f/k/a American Home Products) in successfully obtaining summary judgment in class actions challenging managed care rebate contracts as unlawful exclusive dealing and monopolization. J.B.D.L. Corp. v. Wyeth-Ayerst Labs., Inc. (S.D.Ohio 2005), affirmed on appeal by Sixth Circuit.
- Philip Morris USA in successfully obtaining summary judgment in this exclusive dealing case challenging a retail distribution and incentive program involving promotional payments in exchange for near exclusive shelf space allocations. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. v. Philip Morris Inc., 199 F. Supp. 2d 362 (M.D.N.C. 2002), aff'd per curiam, 67 Fed. Appx. 810 (4th Cir. 2003).
- Xerox Corporation in precedent-setting litigation concerning the right of patent and copyright owners to refuse to license to competitors. In re Independent Service Organizations Antitrust Litigation, 203 F.3d 1322 (Fed. Cir. 2001).
Reforming the Immigration System: Proposals to Promote Independence, Fairness, Efficiency, and Professionalism in the Adjudication of Removal Cases (Vol. 1)
American Bar Association, Commission on Immigration
November 15, 2011
Antitrust Issues For Accountable Care Organizations: Revised Agency Guidance Spotlights Possible Concerns (pdf)
May 3, 2011
Antitrust Agencies Issue Guidance on Accountable Care Organizations (pdf)
February 22, 2011
Antitrust Risks of Accountable Care Organizations (pdf)
Getting The Deal Through: Pharmaceutical Antitrust – United States (pdf)
Global Competition Review
BTI Client Service All-Star (2019, 2022)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1988
- B.S., Applied Mathematics, University of Michigan, 1985
- District of Columbia