Recognized by Who's Who Legal as a "national leader" in the field of international arbitration in China and as a "future leader" in the field globally, Anton Ware acts as counsel and advocate for private sector companies, sovereign states, and government-owned entities in commercial and investment treaty arbitration proceedings around the world, with a particular focus on the Asia Pacific region. He also regularly sits as arbitrator in international arbitration cases and is listed on the panel of arbitrators of several major arbitral institutions in Asia.
Mr. Ware is "a widely acclaimed advocate" (Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, Future Leaders 2018) who clients praise as "a very detail-oriented, experienced lawyer" with "a remarkable ability to stay calm even in the most tense situations" and who is "excellent at cross-examination" (Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, Future Leaders 2021).
Based in Shanghai, China, Mr. Ware speaks and reads Mandarin Chinese and is skilled at handling China-related disputes. He frequently advises Chinese companies on ways to avoid and resolve disputes in connection with their outbound investments, and serves as an Ambassador of the ICC Commission on the Belt and Road Initiative (a body dedicated to promoting mediation and arbitration of disputes arising from BRI projects).
In addition to his arbitration practice, Mr. Ware also has extensive experience in US litigation and anti-corruption investigation matters.
Mr. Ware regularly speaks on international arbitration topics and is a guest lecturer for the International Arbitration and Dispute Settlement (IADS) Program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. He previously taught international commercial arbitration at UC Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco.
Mr. Ware earned his JD from Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and Editor of the Columbia Law Review. He also served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor, who at the time was a judge on the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and is now a US Supreme Court Justice.
- Hana Financial Group in obtaining complete dismissal of $1.4 billion claims by US private equity fund and award of attorneys' fees and costs in post-M&A dispute (ICC, Singapore).
- Chinese metals conglomerate in successfully resolving investment dispute with US mineral development company (ICC, Hong Kong).
- Asian mobile device manufacturer in defeating request by component supplier for worldwide injunction under copyright and patent license agreement (ICC, Maui).
- Latin American railroad concessionaire in obtaining complete dismissal of $1 billion breach of contract claims (ICC, Bogota).
- US pharmaceutical company in obtaining complete dismissal of claims by Swiss pharmaceutical company for royalties under patent license agreement (JAMS, Boston).
- Asian shipbuilder in dispute involving sale and charter of a deep sea drill ship (ad hoc, London).
- Chinese investor in fraud action against former business partners in private air charter business (California Superior Court).
- German equipment manufacturer in breach of contract and intellectual property dispute with California solar panel producer (ICC, London).
- US private equity fund in breach of contract and fraud dispute with former co-investors in Korean credit card joint venture (ICC, Singapore).
- Private equity arm of major US financial institution in four arbitration proceedings relating to corporate control of Brasil Telecom (ICC, Paris).
- Private equity arm of major US financial institution in successfully obtaining a series of injunctions against its former fund manager in Brazil. Int'l Equity Invs. v. Opportunity Equity Partners, 246 F. App'x 73 (2d. Cir. 2007) (affirming injunctions).
- US private equity fund in breach of contract and trademark infringement dispute with former joint venture partner in Chinese shopping mall chain (ICC, Hong Kong).
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2005, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- MA, International Affairs, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, 2002, with distinction
- BA, International Relations, Johns Hopkins University, 2001, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- Ambassador of the ICC Commission on the Belt and Road Initiative
- Guest Lecturer, Tsinghua University International Arbitration and Dispute Settlement (IADS) Program
- Adjunct Professor, UC Hastings College of the Law
- Arbitrator, List of Arbitrators, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Arbitrator, Panel of International Arbitrators of KCAB International
- Arbitrator, Panel of Arbitrators of the Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration (SCIA)
- Arbitrator, List of Arbitrators, Hangzhou Arbitration Commission (HAC)
- Regional Ambassador, HK45
- Member, Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center (SVAMC)
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law
Member, State Bar of California, International Law Section