Recognized as a "future leader" in the field of international arbitration, Anton Ware acts as counsel and advocate for private sector companies, sovereign states, and government-owned entities in commercial and investment treaty arbitration proceedings around the world, with a particular focus on the Asia Pacific region.
Mr. Ware is "a widely acclaimed advocate" (Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, Future Leaders 2018) who clients praise for his '"skills as a presenter and cross examiner"' during arbitration hearings and for his client service (Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, Future Leaders 2017).
Based in Shanghai, China, Mr. Ware speaks and reads Mandarin Chinese and is skilled in handling disputes involving Chinese parties.
In addition to his arbitration practice, Mr. Ware also has extensive experience in US litigation and anti-corruption investigation and compliance matters.
Mr. Ware regularly speaks on international arbitration topics and previously taught international commercial arbitration at UC Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco.
Mr. Ware earned his JD from Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and Editor of the Columbia Law Review. He also served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor, who at the time was a judge on the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and is now a US Supreme Court Justice.
- Korean financial institution in high-stakes post-M&A dispute with US private equity fund (more than $1 billion in dispute) (ICC, Singapore).
- US pharmaceutical company in dispute with Swiss pharmaceutical company under patent license agreement (JAMS, Boston).
- Asian shipbuilder in dispute involving the sale and charter of a deep sea drill ship (ad hoc, London).
- Latin American railroad concessionaire in high-stakes contract dispute (more than $1 billion in dispute) (ICC, Bogota).
- Leading mobile device manufacturer in high-stakes emergency arbitrator and main arbitration proceedings under copyright and patent license agreement (ICC, Maui).
- Chinese investor in fraud action against former business partners in the private air charter business (California Superior Court).
- German equipment manufacturer in breach of contract and intellectual property dispute with California solar panel producer (ICC, London).
- US private equity fund in breach of contract and fraud dispute with former co-investors in Korean credit card joint venture (ICC, Singapore).
- Private equity arm of major US financial institution in four arbitration proceedings relating to corporate control of Brasil Telecom (ICC, Paris).
- Private equity arm of major US financial institution in successfully obtaining a series of injunctions against its former fund manager in Brazil. Int'l Equity Invs. v. Opportunity Equity Partners, 246 F. App'x 73 (2d. Cir. 2007) (affirming injunctions).
- US private equity fund in breach of contract and trademark infringement dispute with former joint venture partner in Chinese shopping mall chain (ICC, Hong Kong).
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2005, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- MA, International Affairs, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, 2002, with distinction
- BA, International Relations, Johns Hopkins University, 2001, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
Member, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), North American Users' Council
Adjunct Professor, UC Hastings College of the Law
Regional Ambassador, HK45 United States
Member, Advisory Board, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
Member, Young Arbitrators Initiative Committee, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- Member, Young International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
Member, Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
Member, Young Arbitrators Forum, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Member, International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) Young & International
Member, State Bar of California, International Law Section
Member, Bar Association of San Francisco