Bart Wasiak's practice focuses on representing sovereign States and private clients in international arbitration proceedings, including investor-State and commercial arbitrations under the Arbitration Rules of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL).
- The Kingdom of Thailand in an UNCITRAL Rules arbitration initiated by Australian claimants in relation to a gold mining project.
- The Republic of Bulgaria in two pending ICSID arbitrations relating to, respectively, the banking and electricity sectors.
- Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim A.S., a leading Turkish energy company, in a successful ICSID arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. In August 2017, the tribunal unanimously issued a final award in our client’s favor, finding Pakistan liable under the Turkey-Pakistan bilateral investment treaty, and ordering Pakistan to pay approximately $800 million in damages (including interest), one of the largest damages awards in ICSID history.
- The Czech Republic in six pending investment-treaty arbitrations relating to the renewable energy sector.
- The Czech Republic in its successful defense against an investment arbitration under UNCITRAL rules, filed by Jürgen Wirtgen, Stefan Wirtgen, Gisela Wirtgen and JSW Solar (zwei) GmbH & Co.KG under the Germany-Czech Republic bilateral investment treaty. The dispute related to investments in the Czech solar power sector. In an award issued in October 2017, a majority of the tribunal dismissed all of the claimants' claims.
- The Republic of Korea in a pending investment-treaty arbitration involving the Lone Star Funds, with respect to certain bank regulation and tax matters.
- The Kyrgyz Republic in a $600 million ICSID Additional Facility investment arbitration in relation to the cancellation of a gold mining license.
- The Government of Hungary in Emmis International Holding, B.V., et al. v. Hungary and Accession Mezzanine Capital L.P., et al. v. Hungary, two ICSID investment arbitrations initiated by former owners of radio broadcasting licenses.
- The Slovak Republic in an investment-treaty arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules initiated by a Dutch claimant in relation to electricity tariff measures.
- Aircraft manufacturer in a major dispute with a contractor under the ICC Rules of Arbitration.
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School
- LLB, University of Nottingham and University of Texas
- England and Wales
- New York
- International Academy for Arbitration Law (Certificate)
- Foundation for International Arbitration Advocacy (Certificate)