Ryan Watts' practice encompasses a broad range of antitrust matters including litigation, counseling, and transactions. Mr. Watts frequently defends clients in multi-defendant class actions involving complex antitrust and economic issues, including cases alleging exclusionary practices and collusion.
Mr. Watts' transactional practice includes advising on the antitrust risk of potential transactions as well as representation before the US antitrust agencies in reportable transactions.
Mr. Watts has represented clients in a wide variety of sectors including consumer products, medical devices, energy, and chemicals, and he has considerable experience in competition matters involving pharmaceuticals. Mr. Watts was a contributor to the Health Care section of the Antitrust Law Developments (Seventh), the leading two-volume antitrust treatise.
- Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, in federal and state class action and non-class action litigation alleging antitrust and marketing related claims regarding one of its leading products. Obtained complete defense verdict in trial in bankruptcy proceeding, defeating certain antitrust and civil RICO claims.
- Health care equipment manufacturer in antitrust litigation by independent service providers alleging monopolization of equipment service market.
- Pharmaceutical company in "reverse payment" class actions alleging that settlement of pharmaceutical patent litigation illegally delayed generic competition.
- Nucor Corporation in civil litigation filed on behalf of a putative class of steel purchasers alleging a conspiracy to raise prices among major US steel producers.
- Global chemicals producer in multi-defendant class actions and class opt-out litigation alleging a price-fixing conspiracy among producers of titanium dioxide.
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), as amicus curiae in the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit concerning the application of antitrust laws to pharmaceutical patent litigation settlements.
- Tarmac America in In re Florida Cement & Concrete Antitrust Litigation, a civil action alleging a price-fixing conspiracy among cement and concrete producers in Florida. Obtained a dismissal of cement allegations and defeated certification of the concrete class, resulting in a voluntary dismissal of the case.
- Laboratoires Fournier in In re TriCor Antitrust Litigation, a class action in the US District Court for the District of Delaware involving allegations of predatory innovation. Case settled just prior to jury deliberations.
- Pharmaceutical company in a federal antitrust class action alleging monopolization and exclusive dealing in prescription drug sales. The court granted summary judgment, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Pharmaceutical company in a multi-defendant class action under federal and state antitrust laws alleging a conspiracy to deter importation of prescription drugs. Obtained dismissal of the case, which was affirmed on appeal.
- General Electric in a federal antitrust case alleging foreclosure of an online healthcare marketplace. Obtained dismissal of the case, which was affirmed on appeal, and obtained reversal of district judge's refusal to award sanctions.
- JD, Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 2001
- BA, Indiana University, 1998
- District of Columbia