Tom Magnani provides strategic advice to FORTUNE 100 companies, startups, investors, and industry consortia on technology and intellectual property transactions of all kinds, including research and development collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, copyright, trademark, and patent licenses, software licenses, and distribution and supply arrangements. His experience spans across a range of industries, including enterprise and consumer software, semiconductors, wearables, consumer products, and entertainment.
Working closely with the firm's litigation practice, Mr. Magnani has developed particular experience in the settlement of complex intellectual property disputes.
In addition, Mr. Magnani counsels clients on compliance with advertising laws, including those regulating sweepstakes, skills contests, unsolicited e-mail, and privacy. He also advises clients on antitrust concerns that arise in the context of business transactions.
While in law school, Mr. Magnani served on the editorial board of the Berkeley Technology Law Journal and earned a Boalt Hall Law and Technology Certificate.
- Engineering Software Developer. Advising on legal compliance issues raised by rollout of consumer sweepstakes strategy in numerous countries, including structuring of official rules and managing input of local counsel in dozens of jurisdictions.
- Publisher of Trade Magazines. Advising client on compliance with sweepstakes, contests, and other advertising and promotions laws in connection with dozens of consumer and trade-oriented promotions sponsored by various digital and print publications.
- Event Organizer. Advising client on structuring of sweepstakes and skills contests for dozens of live events organized by client for technology and professional trade associations.
- Publisher of Children's Magazines. Advising on compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and federal and state promotions laws in connection with a variety of promotional activities.
In-House Counsel Forum (Korea)
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2000, Order of the Coif
- BS, Biology and Environmental Studies, Tufts University, 1997, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Member, IP Section, Licensing Committee, State Bar of California
- Member, Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
- Member, Board of Directors, Frameline (Emeritus)