Laurie Abramowitz, co-chair of the firm's Tax practice, handles all aspects of tax work for corporations, partnerships, high-net-worth individuals, and tax-exempt organizations. Her practice is broad-based and involves tax planning for a wide variety of transactions and structuring, negotiating and documenting complex corporate transactions and private equity structures, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, reorganizations, financing transactions, private and public debt and equity offerings and restructurings, many of which have international implications.
Ms. Abramowitz regularly represents private equity funds in structuring acquisitions, dispositions and management equity participations. She is experienced in structuring joint ventures, partnerships and limited liability companies and drafting partnership agreements and tax allocations therein.
In addition, Ms. Abramowitz has substantial experience in forming and advising tax-exempt organizations on tax issues including private inurement, self-dealing, unrelated business taxable income, fractions rule compliance and excess benefit transactions.
- American Securities in the sale of portfolio company Robertson Fuel Systems LLC, a leading producer of auxiliary fuel systems for military rotorcraft, to HEICO Electronic Technologies Corp. for US$255 million.
- Novartis in its acquisition of Admune Therapeutics, a clinical stage biotechnology company.
- American Securities in its sale of specialty paper coating and finishing company FiberMark Inc. to Neenah Paper Inc. for US$120 million.
- The Halifax Group in the sale of Caring Brands International, a leading worldwide franchisor of home healthcare services, to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners.
- J.W. Childs Associates in its acquisition of Atlanta-based EmployBridge Holding Company Inc. from majority shareholder CGW Southeast Partners, its restructuring and sale to MSouth Equity Partners, and its subsequent sale to Morgan Stanley Private Equity.
- ASP Westward, a portfolio company of American Securities, in its acquisition of two East Texas newspapers, the Longview News-Journal and the Marshall News Messenger, from Cox Enterprises Inc.
- LLM, Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1993
- JD/MBA, New York University School of Law, 1987
- BA, Brown University, 1983, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association