Laurie Abramowitz is co-chair of the firm's Tax Practice and a member of the firm's Life Sciences practice group and Financial Services practice group.
Her practice is broad based and involves tax planning for a wide variety of transactions, including domestic and cross-border taxable and tax-free mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and public and private debt and equity offerings for US and non-US issuers.
Ms. Abramowitz has significant experience structuring and advising on the tax aspects of M&A transactions for private equity funds and public and private companies. She regularly represents multinational corporations, private equity funds, and private businesses, including LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, and individual entrepreneurs. She has represented lenders as well as companies in financings and restructurings and has extensive experience in the tax aspects of bankruptcy and insolvency workouts.
Ms. Abramowitz advises companies in virtually all major industries, including banking, finance, private equity, health care, life sciences, technology, and consumer products.
- American Securities in various acquisitions and dispositions, including in the sale of SeaStar Solutions, a global provider of technology and system integration for the marine industry, to Swedish manufacturer Dometic Group for a cash purchase price of $875 million. The tax group designed and negotiated a complex tax benefit sharing arrangement that added significant value to the transaction.
- An affiliate of DC Capital Partners Management, LP in its acquisition of Janus Global Operations, a global logistics and stability operations contractor. Janus provides commercial munitions remediation, environmental remediation and services, risk management, and logistics and lifecycle support solutions.
- J.W. Child Associates, a private equity firm focused on leveraged buyout and recapitalization transactions for middle-market growth companies, in various acquisitions and dispositions, including its acquisition of EbLens, a footwear, apparel, and accessories retailer from KarpReilly, LLC. Our tax group designed the tax structure of the acquisition including a management rollover and drafted and negotiated the tax provisions of the various agreements.
- Onex Corporation in various acquisitions and dispositions including in the sale of USI, a registered broker-dealer, to an affiliate of KKR & Co. L.P. and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec for an enterprise value of $4.3 billion.
- The Halifax Group in various acquisitions and dispositions including in its acquisition of Chancelight, a regulated healthcare and education business for learning challenged children from Trimaran Partners, on behalf of our client, Halifax Capital. Our tax department advised our client on the structure of the transaction and drafted and negotiated the tax provisions of the various agreements.
- Uni-World Capital in various acquisitions and dispositions including in the sale of CAPS Payroll, a leading payroll provider in multiple entertainment markets, to Cast & Crew Entertainment Services, the premier provider of technology-enabled payroll and production management services to the entertainment industry. The combination creates a market leader with complementary services, diversified client base, and strong commitment to digital solutions.
- LLM, Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1993
- JD/MBA, New York University School of Law, 1987
- BA, Brown University, 1983, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association