Veronica Callahan chairs the firm's Securities Enforcement & Litigation practice group. She concentrates her practice on complex financial and securities litigation, SEC and PCAOB enforcement actions, state attorneys general and white collar matters. Her clients include banking institutions, hedge and private equity funds, accounting firms, non-traditional lenders, public issuers, life sciences companies and start-ups. Ms. Callahan has successfully defended securities class actions; fiduciary duty, suitability and common-law fraud claims; and accountant liability and minority shareholder disputes. She has also efficiently led major internal investigations and defended enforcement actions involving complex valuation, financial reporting, disclosure, whistleblower and insider trading issues. Ms. Callahan also has successfully arbitrated and mediated matters and negotiated highly complex settlements. She regularly writes and lectures on pertinent issues and co-chairs the annual ALI Accountant's Liability conference at which, for instance, this year the Director of Enforcement at the SEC, Gurbir Grewal, was the keynote speaker.
According to Chambers USA, “Veronica comes recommended for her expert SEC practice. She is a fine choice of counsel for a broad roster of financial services entities.” Clients note, “Veronica is outstanding in every way. Her hard work guides us through challenging issues with success." and praise her securities litigation, regulatory and enforcement work, noting “[Veronica] is one of the best lawyers I know. She's the first person I would go to for litigation, SEC regulatory matters or enforcement issues.'"
- Chief Investment Officer and co-owner of registered investment adviser in criminal, SEC, CFTC and federal and states securities litigation matters involving allegations of inflated valuations of highly illiquid exotic securities, false financial reporting and obstruction of justice.
- National accounting firm engagement partner in an SEC investigation in which revenue recognition issues of a public issuer client are at issue.
- Special litigation committee of a large public issuer in conducting an internal investigation into money transfer practices involving significant criminal and civil litigation exposure.
- Big 4 accounting firm in an SEC investigation in which valuation and impairments of distressed long-lived assets are at issue.
- Multi-billion dollar private equity fund in an internal investigation involving whistleblower, valuation and financial reporting issues.
- National accounting firm and various individuals in an SEC investigation and PCAOB inquiry into domestic and international auditor independence issues.
- Loan servicer and public bank holding company in litigation alleging breach of representation and fraud claims involving the origination and servicing of residential mortgages.
- National accounting firm and associated individuals in an SEC investigation into valuation of Level 3 assets under Financial Accounting Standards Board Accounting Standards Codification 820, Fair Value Measurements and Disclosures (formerly FAS 157).
- Hedge fund in various lawsuits related to the demise of Refco, a New York-based financial services company primarily known as a broker of commodities and futures contracts.
- Investment adviser in an arbitration alleging claims that included lack of suitability, breach of fiduciary duty, and a request for punitive damages.
- Global investment banks in a securities class action and related bankruptcy proceeding associated with the demise of a multi-billion dollar hedge fund which purportedly was engaged in a substantial Ponzi-scheme.
Financial Services Litigation (2021–2022)
Litigation: Securities (New York) (2015–2019)
- JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1995
- BA, State University of New York at Albany, 1992
- New York
Member, New York City Bar
Member, American Bar Association, Section of Business Law
Member, American Bar Association, ABA Women Rainmakers
Member, SIFMA Compliance & Legal Society
- Member, UC Hastings College of Law Board of Trustees