Widely recognized for its legal services to US and international institutions, the Arnold & Porter Financial Services practice group of more than 70 lawyers provides financial institution clients with comprehensive regulatory, litigation, legislative, and transactional services. The practice group handles complex regulatory and transactional issues, represents clients in legislative matters (including Congressional hearings and investigations), and litigates cases involving the financial services industry at the administrative level and in the state and federal courts, including the US Supreme Court. Team members in our Chicago, Frankfurt, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC offices are well-versed in applicable financial services regulatory laws of the US, the UK, Germany, and the European Union, as well as the views of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision and the Financial Stability Board.
In the course of keeping current with, and advising on, relevant financial regulatory laws, we have developed a familiarity with the views and expectations of the following financial regulators:
- US (such as the Federal Reserve Board, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the New York State Department of Financial Services, California Department of Business Oversight, the Securities and Exchange Commission, FINRA, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, state insurance regulatory authorities, and the Federal Insurance Office);
- UK (including the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority);
- Germany (the Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht and the Bundesbank); and
- European Union (the European Banking Authority, the European Securities and Markets Authority, and the European Central Bank).
The practice group is recognized for developing innovative structures and novel solutions to regulatory issues, that allow clients to optimize their business strategy. Clients include a broad cross-section of bank holding companies, savings institutions, foreign banks, insurance companies, securities firms, investment managers, electronic commerce businesses, and foreign governments.
Several members of the practice have served in senior positions at key federal regulatory agencies. The team is supported by the full interdisciplinary resources of Arnold & Porter, including the Corporate and Finance; Litigation; Public Policy and Legislative; Antitrust/Competition; Tax, Trusts, and Estates; ERISA; Environmental; and Intellectual Property practice groups.
- Anti-Money Laundering, USA Patriot Act and OFAC
- Enforcement Counseling and Defense
- Financial Institutions Mergers & Acquisitions
- Financial Products and Services
- Financial Services Consumer Protection
- Financial Services Litigation
- Financial Technology
- International and Foreign Banking
- Privacy and Data Security
- Regulatory and Strategic Counseling
Financial Services Regulation: Banking – Compliance (2007-2017)
Financial Services: Litigation (2012-2017)