Kevin Toomey represents banks and other financial services companies, along with their boards of directors and senior management, in a wide range of enforcement, regulatory, and corporate governance matters before, among others, the Federal Reserve, FDIC, OCC, Department of Justice, CFPB, FinCEN, and OFAC. Mr. Toomey regularly represents clients in sensitive investigative proceedings, including navigating internal and government investigations, and advises clients on issues relating to the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering requirements, consumer protection, and state and federal banking laws and regulations.
Mr. Toomey also has significant experience counseling financial institutions on an array of corporate, securities, and transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, and corporate reorganizations.
Prior to joining to firm, Mr. Toomey worked in the Enforcement Section of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Industrial loan company in internal investigation relating to whistleblower allegations.
- Multiple lenders in investigations by DOJ and SBA-OIG relating to the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP).
- Multiple financial institutions in investigations relating to suspected bank fraud, money laundering, and potential noncompliance with BSA/AML regulations.
- Member of senior management in investigation conducted by the OCC, resulting in no enforcement action being taken.
- Former bank executive in successfully modifying an order of prohibition issued by the FDIC.
- Individual in Panama Papers investigation conducted by SDNY and MLARS.
- Multiple executives in enforcement proceedings arising out of allegations of improper sales practices, resulting in favorable outcomes for the clients.
- National bank in an investigation under the Bank Secrecy Act brought by the OCC, FinCEN, and DOJ, resulting in a favorable outcome for the client.
- Special Committee of large nonbank financial institution in internal and government investigations (DOJ, SEC and FDIC) relating to alleged violations of securities laws.
- Multiple nonbank financial institutions in internal investigations relating to BSA/AML requirements.
- Board of directors on corporate governance matters and enforcement proceedings brought by the New York State Department of Financial Services and NCUA.
- Outside directors of a state nonmember bank's board of directors in enforcement proceeding brought by the FDIC relating to BSA/AML matters, resulting in favorable resolutions for the clients.
- Major retailer in connection with internal investigations of revenue recognition practices and potential diversion and structuring activities by company employees.
- JD, Syracuse University College of Law, 2012
- BA, Colgate University, 2007
- District of Columbia
- Enforcement Section, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Vice Chair, Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering Subcommittee of the ABA Banking Law Committee
- Member, ABA Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Instructor, BSA/AML/OFAC Compliance Training Series, Institute for International Bankers
- Editorial Board, FinTech Law Report
- Board of Directors, MinBanc Foundation, a nonprofit that awards educational grants to banking professionals employed by women- and minority-owned financial institutions
- Executive Council, Banking Law Section of the Federal Bar Association